Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #1 
Beall

Oily Water???

Okay.. I seen a thread of this yesterday, but didnt bother reading it. And im on my cheap little prepaid phone and cant search it. Soo...
I was taking a look at ONE of my betta tanks. He is in a one gallon fish bowl for now till our new aquariums are set up.
I was looking from the bottom of the tank upwards through the water, and I see some sort of oily texture up there? I just did a 50% water change an hour ago, could this have something to do with it?
Beall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sounds like surface scum and not uncommon-generally it doesn't cause any problems other than it looks ugly, however, if its too thick it can compromise gas exchange, light penetration for live plants and can sometimes cause problems for the Betta to get to air-but it has to be pretty thick and covering all the surface.....

Adding water movement can help keep it broke up so you don't see it, using a dry, clean paper towel and lay on it to absorb-it may take several papers towels, you can use a section of airline hose and suck it off the surface-this is what I do...

Usually cause-it organic in nature-it can be from the fish food, organics in the tank breaking down, something on your hands, in the air-especially if the tank is near the kitchen-normal smoke and oils from cooking....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote