Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #11 
jasonh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappy4me View Post
I also have one of my tanks, also an Aqueon Evolve 2, unplugged for the same reason. Even if I have the filter flow at it's lowest, the pull is still too much for my longfinned VT, Tango. I was told that I can order an aquarium hose clamp and clamp it on the hose to the filter pump and drill a hole just below where the clamp is so water still has a way out and doesn't backflow into and damage the filter. I still need to order the clamp though haha. But I'm hoping it will help with reducing that pull as well.
you can also get a valve on amazon that allows you to crank it down.
i would trust that to work more than i would a clamp
jasonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #12 
Tappy4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonh View Post
you can also get a valve on amazon that allows you to crank it down.
i would trust that to work more than i would a clamp
Maybe. Either way, I'd have to order it. None of the fish stores here have anything like what I'd need in stock or on their website. I was going to use the clamp simply due to the fact that another member said they had done it with great success lol. But I'm open to ideas.

what valve are you talking about?
Tappy4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #13 
MarlinAndBloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappy4me View Post
Maybe. Either way, I'd have to order it. None of the fish stores here have anything like what I'd need in stock or on their website. I was going to use the clamp simply due to the fact that another member said they had done it with great success lol. But I'm open to ideas.

what valve are you talking about?
I believe this one if you go that route: http://www.amazon.com/Two-Little-Fis...9749666&sr=8-1 . The sponge was definitely helpful though.
MarlinAndBloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:57 AM   #14 
MarlinAndBloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderloon View Post
Don't bother with those "fixes" just get a sponge for a larger Aquaclear filter and attach it in front of the skimmer slots.

Ive got a fluval spec and looked at the early Aqueon tanks and of the two I think the Aqueon is a little better engineered even though the 2gal I looked at had a seven millimeter miss-fit between the clear and black lids that allowed the clear lid to fall in. Looks like Aqueon retro-fitted all shipped stock with lids that have a hook on the front to keep it from happening. The 2gal spec has insufficient space for the pump and too many overflow skim slots. The amount of flow that the little pump with the Spec can produce is stifled even further by having to wedge it in the space available. I'm severely concerned about stressing the glass itself when I put it in. The spec is a marvelous tank and quite effective, just fill in both the gaps in the big rear sponge with more sponge and it'll perform well. One of these days a company other than Penn-Plax and Marineland will figure out how carbon actually works.

Both these systems can be made 100% better by adding in a half inch thick medium density (like the pre-filters in fluval canisters) sponge that covers the front of the skimmer slots.
The sponge definitely helped! Now my Bloo can have his filter plugged in all the time no problem. Thank you.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:02 PM   #15 
skimstr

post picture

Not quite sure which slots you guys are talking about. Can someone post up a photo? Greatly appreciateD!
skimstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:07 PM   #16 
MarlinAndBloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimstr View Post
Not quite sure which slots you guys are talking about. Can someone post up a photo? Greatly appreciateD!
They're the slots that I circled in red in the OP.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #17 
BillNye

The sponge didnt work for me. I used aquaclear foam and wedged it between the filter they provide and the skimmer. Flow was still out of control
BillNye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #18 
betaICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillNye View Post
The sponge didnt work for me. I used aquaclear foam and wedged it between the filter they provide and the skimmer. Flow was still out of control
Same here. My betta, sleeps on the vent :S.
Now he refuses to use the right side of the tank unless the filter is off. The flow out is too strong
betaICS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aqueon, evolve, filter