Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2012, 05:58 PM   #1 
betta lover1507

Question thinking about breeding again

okay i have been really bored and i really want to breed betta's again and i got this new female, she's a delta i got her on wednesday from shipping, so my question is when will it take for my female to be ready to breed? but also i have this crowntail females for now a week, will i wait for another week before there ready? right now none are eggy (of course) am just curious, since BOTH of my males are ready am really looking forward on breeding kristie and aris am planning on breeding puddles to both (not at the same time ) so basically how long will it take a female to be ready?
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #2 
BeautifulBetta

I read on another post that you should wait at least a month after getting your betta before breeding it, just to let them get settled and such. Unready females, I'd probably condition for 2-3 weeks. As for breeding though, I would wait until you're sure your parents won't take away your breeding equipment again, and won't disrupt your project. You may end up with more stunted fry like Sparta. Dont breed just because you're bored though, they take a LOT of work to raise a successful spawn. If you do, make sure you have all foods and equipment before you breed them :) this time, microworms would be a good investment!
BeautifulBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #3 
betta lover1507

no am not breeding because am bored, am just bored at home and i was constantly thinking "when will i start my breeding again??" also i had to give up my sorority for breeding so i gonna keep all the girls seperate, so my parents won't interrupt anything . and i just wanted a answer for my question :P since my brother broke my underwater filter D:< and i will start with egg yolk and BBS (if i could get them to live longer >-<) and how do i start a culture of microworms? i have no money right now, so i can't get anything :(
but thanks though
also if i get my BBS to hatch is there a way to freeze them and be preserved like some at stores? did anyone ever try that
Old 02-19-2012, 03:24 AM   #4 
BeautifulBetta

Microworms you gotta buy a starter culture online, it's not usually expensive, I paid like $8 for mine. As for the BBS, they're only good for 24 hours, because after that, their egg sack is gone and they lose most nutritional value. Not sure if you could freeze them or not, never tried it haha. It's best to have a 'system' thing going, two batches of BBS, 12 hours after the other, so by the time they hatch, you'll have BBS available all the time for the ever-hungry fries. If BBS is too much of a pain though (I don't like them that much, I feel like a lot are wasted) you could try decapsulated BBS, which dont require hatching, just soak them for like 1/2 an hour in seperate water and feed right to the fry. I switched mine to decaps and they love them. My current spawn is a month and a half old, theres 217 of them, and the biggest is 1/2" long so the food seems to be working lol! Not to mention the 15 gallon water changes I do every day haha
Old 02-19-2012, 04:12 AM   #5 
bettalover2033

Betta lover1507: I really hope that you wait to breed. Considering that you only have Sparta from a spawn that was basically ruined, you starting another breeding project would be kind of pointless and very high risk of anther failure since you don't have all of your equiptment and most of your grow out and separating five gallon tanks were thrown away.

It is in the best interest of the fish that you consider them as pets for now since it might result as the last spawn. I'm so happy you have Sparta to call your own. Though he is very stunted and has no color on him at a few months old where on average they have color and the colors are usually pretty vibrant or getting there. ( judging on last appearance).

You might just be stressing the fish out for little gain. You stated yourself that you have no money to get anything so it would not be a good choice to start breeding.

So basically I am asking that you wait a while and enjoy your fish for now. Okay bud..
Hey maybe you can start now on trying to get all or the required things in order and then in a month or so you will be ready to get a pair from aquabid.

Your friend,
BL2033
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #6 
betta lover1507

i am waiting just gonna get a new filter, microworms (if possible), heater >->"
and i need more BBS again. where can i find decaped BBS? i don't know what "stunted" means :P i set the tank up so the water could age (safer), by march i could do another spawn (my birthday lol) that's when i could get money and buy the rest of stuff. and i cannot buy a pair off aquabid because there around $40 dollars (not even including the shipping) and i don't want to go out the country :(
i know sparta is under age, the only coloration he has are his red tinted eyes. and yes i am going to wait. i never knew that BBS only are good for a day, i thought i was just bad with keeping them (probably am because they die the next day)
Old 02-19-2012, 03:28 PM   #7 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by betta lover1507 View Post
i am waiting just gonna get a new filter, microworms (if possible), heater >->"
and i need more BBS again. where can i find decaped BBS? i don't know what "stunted" means :P i set the tank up so the water could age (safer), by march i could do another spawn (my birthday lol) that's when i could get money and buy the rest of stuff. and i cannot buy a pair off aquabid because there around $40 dollars (not even including the shipping) and i don't want to go out the country :(
i know sparta is under age, the only coloration he has are his red tinted eyes. and yes i am going to wait. i never knew that BBS only are good for a day, i thought i was just bad with keeping them (probably am because they die the next day)
I dont know where you can get decaps, but bbs seems to work wonders for me. I still feed them to the fry 4 days after they are hatched even though they aren't as nutritious, I'm not going to just dump them out because they aren't as high in protein as before. they are still a food and that would be the biggest waste of money.

Anyway,
In my own opinion, no one should breed bettas (or any fish for that matter as complicated and stubborn as a betta. I would say that if you cant get a nice quality pair, you should wait until you are 100% sure that you're going to have a good outcome for the fry. I didn't want to say it like that so don't take it the wrong way. I am just trying to give you advice for what is best for the fry that you can simply bring into this world and can end in a negative way. I really hope you wait until you have EVERYTHING you need. Including separating jars for them. You said that you bought a new DeT female online, maybe you can find a male online to go with her.

And on average you might be able to get a pair for$40-$50 in total including shipping, because I have bought many pairs online for that cost. Though I usually send more for better quality fish only from the USA. I'm 100% sure that you can get a nice pair on AB or even on the forum for that price or less. All you must do is ask. If you ask Chard56, you can definitely get a air for about $25-$30 wish shipping included because he sells his fish from $5-$15 a piece and if he has a REALLY nice quality fish he just might go up to $25 which is very reasonable compared to AB sellers.

There really is not a reason to start a breeding project because of the fry's health and well being. I heard so many devastating things from your last spawn and how they were just dying 1 by 1 and you had to put the tank on the radiator in your home.

I would just advise you once again to wait until you can afford to get containers, plants, Grow out tanks, qualty pair, heater, ect.

I only wish the best for you and your fry if you are willing to really take everything head on and prepared. Look at Amphibianite, he/she (I have no knowledge of gender) waited so long to even be able to SAY they are ready for this. This person is so prepared.

I know how it feels to want to breed again after a spawn because I was in the same shoes. I started breeding my bettas and had no homes, containers, no quality pair, live plants, heh not even a heater and I had a spawn just like you. I ended up with 1 fry and no heater or anything. All of my fry died. I knew that had to change and now I'm prepared. That spawn was a horrible failure. I dont want to discourage you from breeding bettas in total, but just for now.

This is the one only fry that I had from a spawn of about 40 or more.

And that is it. That was all I had to say.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:58 PM   #8 
betta lover1507

ooh your supposed to throw out? mines just dies after the first day it's not that i don't want to buy a male or any AB betta again, am just not allowed to until my birthday :( my parents don't like buying things through the internet. and i will like to have one of chard's, there very pretty (don't get me wrong) i just can't find ANY male that i really like (that's in the US)
it not because of fry's health i want to breed fish again, i just have "passion" for it (i think that's the right word) and i have some containers already.
i didn't put the tank on the radiator i put them in a container
and i have plants, a vase, and a 20/30 gallon breeder tank i just need a heater, and the filter (i have a bubbler but it's in another room)
the one i really like is this one:
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1330191605
but someone already bidded on him

Last edited by betta lover1507; 02-19-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:21 AM   #9 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by betta lover1507 View Post
ooh your supposed to throw out? mines just dies after the first day it's not that i don't want to buy a male or any AB betta again, am just not allowed to until my birthday :( my parents don't like buying things through the internet. and i will like to have one of chard's, there very pretty (don't get me wrong) i just can't find ANY male that i really like (that's in the US)
it not because of fry's health i want to breed fish again, i just have "passion" for it (i think that's the right word) and i have some containers already.
i didn't put the tank on the radiator i put them in a container
and i have plants, a vase, and a 20/30 gallon breeder tank i just need a heater, and the filter (i have a bubbler but it's in another room)
the one i really like is this one:
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1330191605
but someone already bidded on him

If someone already posted a bid on him, you can still bid. If the first bidder gets a little too high then just stop.

Though you seem very determined to breed so I guess I would say do your best job at keeping the fry healthy and at their full size with many. Also your prev. question, stunting is when a betta is smaller than its average size.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:06 AM   #10 
BeautifulBetta

Here's a good chart that shows what fry should look like at the different stages
http://www.bettatalk.com/fry_growth.htm

Also, decaps you gotta buy online too. I've never seen them in stores. I got mine at http://artemiausa.com/

I agree with everything BL2033 has said so far. Preparation, patience, and constant research are your best friends when it comes to breeding correctly lol. I have a spawn right now with 217 fry, but I still research, just because I like to read about it and want the best for my babies