Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #1 
zacheyp

zacheyp's 2.5 gallon betta!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sooo i went to Petco to explore my betta tank options. I have explored betta soroitys and 5 gall comunity tank but that really didnt seem to be a good idea. The store had a mini bow, but i really like the standard 2.5 gallon 12x6x8 tank. I would use an aquaclear 20. The only problem is i cant find a hood, could you possibly help.
I really want to keep some good looking plants (the key to a cool nano tank) a kick but betta and snail and maybe some shrimp. Again if i can find a hood this tank will be up and cycling in no time.
Thanks
zacheyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #2 
callistra

The standard rectangular aqueon glass tanks? It's hard to find them in store. You may need to order online.

Also it's really hard to maintain beneficial bacteria in something that small and you need to be careful and test often to make sure nothing broke down. If you want to cycle pick up a 5g. The hood will be easier to find too. You're not going to be putting tank mates in something as small as 2.5g either.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:36 PM   #3 
Myates

I agree.. a 2.5 gallon won't cycle as the surface area is too small. You can keep live plants in a 2.5 gallon, but wouldn't have to go through the whole cycle process. Just make sure to QT the plants for a week or so before you add any fish in with them as sometimes they carry snails, etc and you want to make sure you have only what you want in the tank with the betta.
Good luck and can't wait to see some pictures of the set up :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #4 
zacheyp

i still need to find a hood
Old 02-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #5 
zacheyp

still cant find a hood ):
Old 02-18-2012, 07:37 PM   #6 
Tappy4me

I don't believe they make much in terms of hoods for 2.5 gal tanks.

I have 4 of them...and just have the glass covers that came with them. I use clip on lights for lighting. I've been looking for specific light hoods for years for them, and unfortunately, I just don't think they make them for tanks that small.
Tappy4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #7 
zacheyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappy4me View Post
I don't believe they make much in terms of hoods for 2.5 gal tanks.

I have 4 of them...and just have the glass covers that came with them. I use clip on lights for lighting. I've been looking for specific light hoods for years for them, and unfortunately, I just don't think they make them for tanks that small.
so could i go unfiltered?
Old 02-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #8 
Tappy4me

Unfiltred is fine. You just have to keep up with water changes. I have my 2.5 gal tanks filtered with Toms Aquarium mini internal filters. Azoo filters work well too. Just make sure you get a heater. :) and cover whatever space you can with a glass hood, or plastic canvas cut to size in a pinch.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:16 PM   #9 
zacheyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappy4me View Post
Unfiltred is fine. You just have to keep up with water changes. I have my 2.5 gal tanks filtered with Toms Aquarium mini internal filters. Azoo filters work well too. Just make sure you get a heater. :) and cover whatever space you can with a glass hood, or plastic canvas cut to size in a pinch.
o00, i would def do an internal filter, heater and clip on lights but my tank dosent come with a cover do you know where (link) i could get one? thanks
Old 02-18-2012, 09:44 PM   #10 
Tappy4me

What brand is the tank you have?

Is it like this? (old pic of Draco's tank..differently designed now) Just a standard glass rectangular tank?