Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2012, 08:57 PM   #1 
potter

How do you manage

the care of your bettas if you have more than 4 male bettas and they require their own tanks & heaters? Isn't it costly to keep buying heaters & looking for outlets to plug them in? Also, how much time a day do you manage to spend with ur fish given that you have a fulltime job and other pets? I just wanna find out hpw everyone does it. For me, I have time to feed, clean their tanks, look at their funny antics for like 30 mins a day and that's it. I sometimes feel like a bad fish mommy.I have four 2.5 gallon tanks & heaters its just I don't have much time.
potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #2 
Theraggy1

Easy, ^^ split ten gallon tanks :D once they are cycled you only have to do small water changes either every week or every few weeks, depending on how long you let it go. However when I did have mine in tanks by themselves, I cleaned a tank a day every day of the week.
Theraggy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:12 PM   #3 
potter

I used to split a 10 gallon but when one fish got sick, the others get sick really quick and I lost a few fish that way so I stopped and put them in their own tanks instead. Also, the males get stressed out because I use the dividers used for knitting from WM and though they are dark brown, which made it harder to see the other side, they still do.
potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:11 AM   #4 
Bombalurina

Don't get males - get females and start a sorority! :D

I wish I had parental permission for males. I'd find the time and money...somehow...
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:30 AM   #5 
a123andpoof

Well I am starting to add bigger tanks as they have less maintenance. I don't have a full time job, but I don't spend a ton of time with my fish. I go and talk to them and watch them but they don't need me for entertainment as in my divided they most defiantly entertain themselves. As for money I make 5 bucks a week I save or I look at garage sales in the summer for tanks I even buy 1 gallons since they make great quarantine. I have time for the maintenance most of the time and more so since I only have 3 tanks up an filled soon it will be four but it is also a 10g.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #6 
Curlyfatbottom

Betta barrack(drip system)
Depend on how many gallon your whole system hold and number of fish determine how often you do a water change.

One heater can warm a lot of fish.
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #7 
Tappy4me

Well, I have 7 tanks (6 male and 1 female). I usually will clean 2-3 tanks one day then the next 4 the following day. I have four 2.5 gallon tanks, two 2 gallon tanks and one 1 gallon tank (temporary). I spend a good amount of time watching my guys, as three are on my dresser, and three are on my desk. I feel bad for my 7th (Big Red), as he is in my sister's room and just doesn't get much attention. I call him mine, but he's mostly hers though she doesn't care for him at all. I think I might see if she'll let me move him to the Rec room where he'll get more attention.

Eventually, once I have a place of my own, I'm going to get a larger tank or two and split them. That way I have one heater and one filter for each tank. It does get pricey making sure each tank has a heater and filter!

For whatever reason my parents let me have as many betta tanks as I want, but won't let me get larger tanks. So, I just maintain what I have knowing that one day the work will be less! hehe
Tappy4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #8 
Luimeril

i cheat. :B keep my room warm. i keep the cups the bettas come in, and change 2-3 tanks at a time. having 10(soon to be 11) isn't that hard, when you do it that way. :V
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:46 AM   #9 
Curlyfatbottom

With the drip system u can change as many jar as your system hold.
Just by doing a water change in your slump
Just in a few minutes you can change out 40+ jar with out all the hassle of catching your fish
If your willing to invest
You will say up a lot of time
But feed is still a hassle
Haven't find a easy way yet
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:31 AM   #10 
Tikibirds

Divided tanks but mine were never cycled so I still did the 100% change every week.

The other secrete - GRAVEL VACCUUME. It can suck the water out of a 10 gallon in like 5 minutes. I used two 3 gallon tubs and when one filled up, i put the vaccuum in the other tub and emptied out the full one. Some people use 5 gallon buckets but I can't lift that

Heaters - I got all off ebay - much cheaper
the real issue I had was the lack of sockets, thats why nothing was cycled. The 20G had a filter but that was more to help with debris in the water, with 10 girls the tank never cycled and I still had to change out water every other day and keep an eye on the ammonia level

Last edited by Tikibirds; 02-20-2012 at 12:36 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote