Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #1 
ChibiShishou

Smile Question about 2 males in tank with a divider.

I am currently in college and found some amazing betta's in a local pet store. But we can only have one tank per person per room and my room mate already has a fish Although our rooms arent searched I dont want to risk my room mate in trouble just so I can have two bettas. So heres my question(s) I'd also like opinions as well!^^

I wanted to invest in buying a 10 gallon tank and then put a divider in it. I was going to get a 10 gallon anyways for my current betta fish.

If I were to get my ten gallon with a divider should I keep two males in the tank (obviously on opposite sides of course!)?????

Should the divider be opaque or mesh?

How low should the water level be? My boy is a high jumper Ive seen him go a good 4 inches at times.

Anything I should know before putting two in a tank?

Thank you for your time!
ChibiShishou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #2 
Alienchick017

I've heard of people putting up to 4 males in a ten gallon divided tank. Its best if they can't see through the dividers or they will get stressed and don't fill the tank all the way to the top or they can jump over the dividers. I think its best if you leave at least 2-3 inches at the top.
Alienchick017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #3 
EmilyN

If your divider goes to the top of the tank and you get a cover, you wont have to worry about them going over the divider.
EmilyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:33 PM   #4 
MistersMom

good idea for your tank , it sounds nice!
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #6 
MistersMom

its best to use plastic knitting canvas though, rather than the fabric mesh shown in that tutorial
Old 02-18-2012, 09:39 PM   #7 
ChibiShishou

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/

Has anyone ever used this method with any other idea? I dont have a fish store in my town selling the aquarium putty/adhesive.
Or will I have to find some other way to set up the tank?? Would they sell dividers of some sort at the pet stores?

Would fabric mesh be see through? I am worried about my current fish going from single to having a brother. :)
Old 02-18-2012, 10:09 PM   #8 
ChibiShishou

I forgot to ask:

Since Ill have two males (who hopefully will NEVER see each other) should I keep the tanks planted (on the heavy side?)? Will they need hiding holes if they see each other and stress out?
Old 02-19-2012, 01:03 AM   #9 
MistersMom

they wont need hidey holes from seeing eachother, just because they like the they would lol, i wouldnt use adhesive unless you know you will never need to do anything else with the tank, you may need to take out the dividers, or add more...... and i would use plastic canvas....i used it for my males Mister (RIP) and Sir, they would flare every now and then, but they were fine....

also, to keep the divider straight, you should put the binder on the top and bottom edges.

Last edited by MistersMom; 02-19-2012 at 01:06 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:48 AM   #10 
ChibiShishou

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistersMom View Post
they wont need hidey holes from seeing eachother, just because they like the they would lol, i wouldnt use adhesive unless you know you will never need to do anything else with the tank, you may need to take out the dividers, or add more...... and i would use plastic canvas....i used it for my males Mister (RIP) and Sir, they would flare every now and then, but they were fine....

also, to keep the divider straight, you should put the binder on the top and bottom edges.

Alright so i should use this tutorial then yes?
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/

And binders at top and bottom *checks off list*

Where would plastic canvas be found? Is that an art product?

Tags
male ten gallon divider