Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2012, 01:18 AM   #1 
Bombalurina

Any martial artists out there?

Come on, there's a thread on here for everything else. :p

I love martial arts, both watching it and doing it. I love knowing the physics behind the moves and how different techniques can be adapted to different situations. I'm only a 6th kyu, but even in that short time I feel I have learnt a lot of very useful things. It gives me more confidence. :) I want to take it all the way to black belt, regardless of how long I have to do it.
I couldn't train for most of last year due to glandular fever (which sucks, I can tell you), but this year I'll be back into it and hoping to earn a new belt. The school I'm at does a combination of jujitsu, karate, judo and boxing.

Anyone else out there do martial arts? Love watching it? Have friends who do it?
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:01 AM   #2 
AngelicScars

My 6 year old has been doing Tae Kwon Do for about 2 years now. He loves it, his teachers love him. I see him doing this for a LONG time.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:13 AM   #3 
Bombalurina

That's sweet. :) I hope he takes it all the way.

Looks like it's just me and him, though. :p
Old 02-22-2012, 07:12 AM   #4 
AngelicScars

I hope he does too.

I'm sorry, I personally would rather have my kids in martial arts over any of the really popular sports out there.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:37 AM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I can't say I'm a martial artist - since I've never really learned formally (wasn't allowed because I have little to no fear towards people regardless of size or numbers). But I love it and trained myself to fight - mainly boxing. So I guess that makes me more of a street fighter.

I learned through Honkong movies (mainly) - tried some of their moves and training which worked for me. I don't have much strength and depend on wit and speed. And later, I helped/trained my youngest brother with his pencak silat (a local martial art).

I don't really like karate since it seems to depend on brute strength. I prefer the more elegant ones, like kungfu, our local pencak silat, jujitsu (I think), etc. Tae kwon do IMO is good for beginners because it gives good basics on foot stance (?) and foot work in general.

Unfortunately I can't teach my son due to my current handicap..... well he's not built for fighting anyway (he has small bone structure). He can't even hold a fist correctly.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

That's one reason I love my combined school - it takes the best from each style and makes something amazing. We really only use the karate to learn various ways of kicking and punching - where to hit for most impact, how to angle the fist/foot/hand, how to strike with multiple attackers. The boxing we do supplements it really well and makes a nice fusion. So we get the striking and kicking aspects with the throwing of judo and the grappling of jujitsu - best of all worlds, I reckon. :D

I've found it really great as a woman because it teaches me a lot about using bigger, heavier opponents' strength and weight against them, and about getting out of dire situations (though, of course, more importantly, not getting in them in the first place). Most people don't expect a girl to be able to hit properly, so that's nice. I'm not a small girl (5'10", 149 pounds), but most of the guys I train with are absolute bears, so it's good practice. :)

What is the focus of pencak silat?
Old 02-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #7 
indjo
TFK Moderator

It's not much different than other styles - only it uses less kicking. It's main objective is getting the crucial points of the body - either nerves or breaking bones (with the help of our opponents counter defence). But that's the old/original pencak silat (that's the impression I got from my grand uncle). The pencak silat you see nowadays has developed into a general kick and punch movement (that's why I was able to help my brother). The only difference is that it is still sort of in a dance kind of movement.

IMO the key to true martial arts - and the hardest to master - is the breathing. IN Chinese (I don't know the English nor Indonesian word for it); balancing the Ying and the Yang (I think). This will give you the power you see in movies - they do exist. BUT you can't fool around with it; 1. you may kill someone. 2. If you do it wrong, you will internally hurt yourself. My grand uncle killed his little brother during training and since then he vowed never to use silat nor to teach it ever (he was one of the champions in the area).
Old 02-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #8 
Bombalurina

Wow...that sounds like the basis of a movie in itself! O.o Scary stuff.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:05 AM   #9 
indjo
TFK Moderator

There are quite a few "branches/styles" here in Indo alone (the word silat IMO means martial arts like the word kungfu in Chinese - so all local fighting skills are called silat). I was very surprised when I learned that my home town is quite known for these things. There's also this skill that enables you to hit someone without touching him. But the other guy must be sort of angry or in a fighting mode. You can pull, push, and hit. The stronger he fights you, the greater the impact on him (like in the movies). My Grand uncle said the only way to beat such skills is to go with the flow and get as near as possible to then strike.

Most of these skills are in the past. It's seldom taught - only few circles still have these skills. But they do exist..... believe it or not ... Lol As my cousin always says; never view your opponent on their size. If they're small but bold/crazy, the more cautious you must be...... but then again you're a woman thus have the element of surprise.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #10 
jediwing

Man, I want to learn a martial art! I've wanted to for years. I really should! It would be amazing for self-discipline and defense. No idea which one to study or where there is a good school around here.
jediwing is offline   Reply With Quote