Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-08-2012, 12:29 AM   #1 
Bombalurina

Scaping advice

Hi guys

As some of you may know if you read the rant and/or happy threads, the goldfish is finally going in a pond! Yay! Which means I'll get his tank, a 23 gallon. Now, that's no problem, I know precisely what I want to do in there. But I'll still have the 16 gallon in my room. It will have Odysseus, my male, 6 ember tetras and 6 panda cories.

Everything in the 16 gallon currently will be moved to the 23 gallon, plants, substrate, everything. This leaves me no idea what to do in the 16. I've attached a picture of what it used to look like. I changed the plant species in there since, but it's the shape I want you guys to see, not the interior. It is such an odd shape and I don't know what I can do with it.

My only thing is, I want it to be natural. Rocks, driftwood, plants, substrate, whatever, as long as it is natural. If you can provide links to products or to beautiful aquascapes you think could be adapted for my tank, please let me know. :) Thanks to anyone who can help!
Attached Images

Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:54 AM   #2 
Daisykd

I think this looks pretty cool.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3202488
Daisykd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:41 AM   #3 
a123andpoof

Wow! I think your tank looks amazing! Hope you don't mind If I steal that idea sometime lol
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

Glad you like it. :) I think it looks better now I've re-arranged it. The java fern on top of the driftwood cave has tripled in size and grown all over the place into a forest. I love it. :D

Thanks Daisy - that's the sort of thing I want. I just need to see if I can find a piece of real driftwood that looks like that. :)
Old 02-08-2012, 07:04 PM   #5 
Daisykd

What do you do to a real piece to make it aquarium safe?
Old 02-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

Depends on the type of wood. Malaysian driftwood around here is generally already in aquariums with plants attached to it, so you just quarantine it. If it is dry, you soak it, then quarantine it.

Mopani is a little more risky. Sometimes it is perfect, sometimes even a month of quarantine and weeks of soaking in boiling water is not enough and it goes bad and kills your fish. It's a bit more hit and miss. Unfortunately, Mopani is going to be my best bet for getting a shape like that.

Grapevine I just wouldn't risk.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #7 
Daisykd

So it's not safe to go out and find some? There's a lake nearby and sometimes there's driftwood around.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #8 
Bombalurina

Usually not. You can try to sterilise it with many washes in boiling water and a bleach solution, but I wouldn't risk it. You don't know what nasties it may bring in that will survive that process.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:27 PM   #9 
Daisykd

Ok cool thanks. I won't do it then.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #10 
LittleBettaFish

Grapevine sold at fish stores here is perfectly safe .

I use it in a lot of my betta set-ups, and the only difference is it can smell weird and fuzz up a lot more than other woods in the first couple of weeks.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote