Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2012, 08:36 AM   #1 
julceyx3

intro + new tank, no fish.

Hello everyone, Jamie here! I unfortunately purchased an already sick betta, which past yesterday. I only had him 2 days but its easy to get attached. I knew something was wrong with him so I did some research and spent $150 on a new set up, but he just didnt make it. I had a betta way back in middle school and I knew nothing. I fed him, changed his water regularly and he lived years.

I am cycling my new tank now, but I would like to get a new betta from the hopefully healthier batch that comes in wednesday. I have a 1 gal tank I could keep him in until the cycle is finished. Should I just wait until my tank is fish ready? I dont want to add stress by going from cup to bowl to tank, I just want another lifeform in my lonely apartment lol.
julceyx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:49 AM   #2 
a123andpoof

As long as the 1 gallon is heated I don't see a problem with that. If I am putting my fish in divided tanks I often use a quarantine tank for 1-2 weeks before moving them again. And because it can take over a month to cycle he will be in the 1 gallon for a while. So I would say go ahead.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #3 
jasonh
Banned

you dont need to cycle the tank if you just have a betta and no other fish
jasonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:23 PM   #4 
callistra

If you don't cycle you have to do far more frequent water changes, including 100% changes which are really not ideal for the fish so cyling is a good idea, imho.

As above, you can keep him in the 1g as long as it's heated but you will need to be doing frequent water changes (100% every 3 days with ideally another 50% at day 2) and it'll take up to a month to cycle. I would wait until you're ready to get a fish unless you happen to fall in love with one you just can't leave. :)
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #5 
jasonh
Banned

changing water for a 1gal tank is a piece of cake. 1 gal is tiny.
jasonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:48 PM   #6 
julceyx3

Thanks for all the responses! I forgot to mention I have a 5.5 gal tank, I hope it doesn't take a month but however long, it will be worth it. I really should wait, a 1 gal seems too cruel + stress from constant water changes.

Must, have, patience!
julceyx3 is offline   Reply With Quote