Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #11 
Zappity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappy4me View Post
Yea, the paint does come off after awhile, but I haven't found it to cause any issues. It hasn't torn any of my guys fins, but it did tear some of Draco's (my dragonscale plakat who has a tendency for finding trouble) scales. But it was more his fault vs the log as he would wedge himself between it and the tank wall, and would try to jump it looking for food. I had to remove it because he kept injuring himself on it. But I have had it in with my VT Big Red for 2 years or so now with no problems, nor any problems with my halfmoon Shadowfax or Remi.
Oh, my. xD okay, well, as long as it doesn't cause any issues...To Petsmart we shall go! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonh View Post
i heard some reviews say that the floating betta log has sharp edges.
if you buy it you might want to take a file to it.

i have a betta hammock but neither of my fish use it even though one of him is a habitual sitter.

sometimes i throw celery in the tank and they like swimming around it
Yeah, my boy didn't use his hammock, either. But he loved sleeping on his anubias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I like the concept of them, but not the look - I find they look quite fake. I'm considering making one of my own out of styrofoam and covering it with bark or sand on the outside, then java moss or fontanalis, for a natural look. :)
That sounds cool :) Let us know if you do! I'd love to see it.
I'm not worried that much about the natural look..though that was my first intention, his tank has turned into a silk-plant-not-even-remotely-natural-looking tank. xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfish View Post
That's how I feel, too... I ended up getting a leaf hammock, since it's at least a leaf... so it looks a bit more natural. Sky LOVES it, though!
Glad he likes it!! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
I agree they are not the pretiest things to place in your tank.
I have one and my guy loves it.
I always inspect anything I put in my tanks and I did find the log to have too much of a rough surface for my peace for mind so I filed it down quite a bit.
The paint does flake off, I just scrub it really well everytime I perform water changes until I can't see more paint coming off.
I'm setting up new tanks and I'm still debating on using betta logs. If I do, I'll have to paint them because they won't match my decor... we'll see.
What did you use to file it? A nail file? (forgive me, I ask a lotta questions and I know nothing about construction type things xD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootshoot View Post
They not too bad. Once it's been sitting in the tank for months the log starts showing wear due to the water environment (loses it's shine), and dependent on how much light your tank gets, green algae starts forming on it as well which improves the natural look.

Here is mine that's been sitting in the 5 gallon for close to a year now.

Attachment 48922
That looks really cool!! :)
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #12 
Zappity

Well, I got it for him! He's gone through it a couple times and pecked it, but still a little shy. :) Hopefully he'll warm up to it!
Old 02-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #13 
Zappity

Thanks for all your help, everyone!
Old 02-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #14 
Bombalurina

Wow, it does look a lot better aged. But I don't think I want to have it un-aged...maybe I should buy a second hand one. :p
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote