Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon

What temperature is your tank? 76F

Does your tank have a filter? no

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no

Is your tank heated? yes

What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Top Fin Color Enhancing Betta Bits and freeze dried bloodworms (on occasion)

How often do you feed your betta fish? 3-4 pellets once daily

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 50% every other day 100% once a week

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Betta water condition (right now I'm adding stress coat+, and just recently took him off API fungus cure)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fins are frayed and deteriorating. At one point his gills turned red, but that healed after the Fungus Cure treatment.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? not much. He used to dart more so much so to the point that he wouldn't respond to someone near the tank (which is unusual), but since I put him on the Fungus Cure the darting hasn't been nearly as much.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? About 3 weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes. I immediately put him on aquarium salt and changed his water every 1-2 days. After 10 days passed his darting wasn't as bad and was responding to when I walked up to the tank but was still darting quite a bit and the fins didn't stop receding. I took him off of the salt for a day and then started the API fungus cure treatment. The fins had started healing and his tail became one piece again, but now his bottom fin (anal fin?) is starting to fray too.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? none except fin rot.

How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him for about 5-7 months.

So I know it's fin rot. It started out at nipping and then that got infected and started rotting. At this point I'm not sure what to do. I'm afraid if I keep going I'm going to over medicate him and that it'll be worse than where he's at right now. I'm also afraid that over changing his water will make him sick too, but he's pretty used to frequent water changes. Any suggestions?
MiyukiSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #2 
callistra

This is typical problem for bettas kept in small containers. It's hard to keep ammonia down and this type of problem is typical for dirty water. In a 1g container you need 2 100% water changes a week and in between I typically do 50% changes daily. Your water change routine would not likely be enough to keep ammonia down and from his chronic fin rot problems I would say it's not.

The darting sounds like parasites. How often does he poop and what does his poop look like?

Assuming the parasites is entirely external the treatment for this is to raise the temp of the tank to between 80-82 and add 1 tsp per gallon aquarium salt for up to 2 weeks. You also need to be doing the frequent water changes (like above.. 100% every 3rd day with 50% change in between) and maintain this while he is in the 1g.

However.. will await on what his poop is like because if it's gone internal he's going to need meds.

It's very hard to heat up a 1g properly so I do suggest getting him something larger. A 2.5g or even 5g would be very good. With a 5g you would only have to change the water twice a week.. one 50% and one 100% and the water would stay good. It would also be much easier to heat with a good adjustable heater like a 25w or 50w Marineland Visitherm or Hydor Theo, both of which will run you about $20.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:26 PM   #3 
MiyukiSnow

I've never had issues with ammonia. I had testing supplies before I moved, but I had to leave them for my parents because of their tank. I've only been here a week so I haven't had time to get more. I used to test every time before and after every water change and ammonia was always normal.

His poop is a reddish brown swirl thing. He only started darting after his fins started rotting and I've been told previously on here that it's something they do sometimes to try to alleviate the pain if there's any. And the temperatures always been normal. Stays at exactly 76 degrees all the time. Doesn't change unless I do water changes.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #4 
callistra

I'm not sure what you are considering "normal" but anything above 0ppm ammonia is a problem. Even as little as .25ppm exposure over a prolonged period will lead to illness.

Flashing means he's itchy in the case of external parasites but also if he's being burned by ammonia.

Poop sounds normal. I'd say it's external. I'd do the aquarium salt method, but only if you can raise the temp. The raised temp will shorten the life of the parasite but if it's at 76 the lifespan will be weeks or months. You really need to get him into something you can heat up properly. Also need to up the water changes as described above.

Last edited by callistra; 02-19-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:49 PM   #5 
MiyukiSnow

When I say normal I definitely meant that it was always the same, meaning none, before and after water changes. Always the same at 0. He has nothing visible externally and as I've stated before I've already put him on salt treatments. He's only been off it for 6 days. I do know that I need to wait at least 10 days after salt treatments before I can do it again because it can cause major kidney issues. And that's at least. He's been on salt treatments quite a bit for the past month or so, so I would prefer not to do that for fear of kidney issues. And I also know that darting sometimes means he's bored, which is another possibility seeing as I need to get him another mirror. I'm actually leaning on the boredom part right now because he loves to get attention from me and will not dart when I'm near the tank. Remember that the darting has greatly subsided after the Fungus Cure treatment.

Either way I need to treat the fin rot. Any method other than salt or Fungus cure.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #6 
callistra

Fungus Cure contains and ingredient called Acriflavine which is effective on some external parasites. Since he got relief from that and his darting I'm guessing something like General Cure would be good for him. You need to dilute it for the 1 gallon since 1 package treats 10 gallons and mix it up new each time you dose the tank..

As far as the fin rot goes, I've never seen it happen except in cases of dirty water so if you really refuse to up your water changes then at least please invest in a good drops test kit and test daily and see just how fast it builds up. 100% water change on day 3 with 50% change on day two should allow the fin rot to clear up and cease being a problem and the General Cure should handle the rest.

Measure 5 cups treated aquarium ready water and add the whole packet. Dissolve fully. Add 1/2 cup per gallon of the medicine. You have to remix this up each time you dose because the medicine will lose effectiveness after 24 hours and it will be like adding nothing.