Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2012, 06:43 AM   #1 
sugahbabe

Looking to Purchase a Betta

I have recently have started a hobby of having fish. I bought a Goldfish but after two weeks it has died. I am now wondering if maybe I would like to buy a Betta, My question is whether or not my Aquarium that I used will be good enough for a Betta?

I have a TopFin 3.5gallon 180 view tank which I purchased at PetSmart. It came with a Light & a mini filter. I also have a thermometer already. Also three plants as decoration & gravel.
sugahbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #2 
Myates

Welcome :)

A 3.5 is fine for a betta (not a goldfish as they require 20 gallons for 1, 10 gallons additional for each goldfish after, along with double filtration- just in case you decide to try again :))
Make sure the plants are silk/soft, a cave would be appreciated by most males, and a heater is required.. a 25w adjustable is recommended.
Make sure the filter is baffled, as bettas don't tend to do too well with a current. The fins would drag and feel heavy to the male, and it can make going up for air a bit more difficult with a current.

Good luck!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:51 AM   #3 
Aus

Bettas are brilliant pets. More companions, really, as they have a lot of personality.

If your last fish died in that tank, it would be best to clean it thoroughly in case of disease. Never use soap or detergent of any kind on your fish-things, though, as it'll kill your fish. I've never had to do that, so perhaps somebody more experienced can say the best way to make sure it's free of germs or fungus.

My betta lives very happily in a tank that size, with lots of live plants, some floating and some in pots. There's a lot of great threads and FAQ articles here on betta care, I wish I had read them -before- buying my fish. You'll find a lot of useful information in those.

You'll need an adjustable heater, as bettas are tropical fish.

In my experience, I've learned it's best not to listen to the people at the pet stores regarding bettas. I've been given bad advice on more than one occasion.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:55 PM   #4 
sugahbabe

I have already cleaned out my tank & made sure to rinse all my plants, thermometer and filter before placing them back into the tank. I haven't put any water conditioner in it yet. I was told by a family friend, that I have to wait a week before I can put any new fish into my tank. Is that true?

Also can somebody please suggest a heater for me?

Here are two photos of my tank.
Name:  DSC01391.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  53.7 KB

Name:  DSC01392.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  48.7 KB
Old 02-21-2012, 12:10 AM   #5 
thekoimaiden

In your case, you won't have to wait to put in fish. Your friend was thinking about cycling which is the process of building up beneficial bacteria to take care of fish waste (this typically takes months not a single week). However, you tank is too small to cycle, so this is not something you need to worry about. You can get your betta as soon as you put water conditioner in your tank.

I'm very sorry your goldfish died. Unfortunately petstore employees rarely understand proper fish care. Never under any circumstances could a goldfish have survived in your tank for long. It is not anything you did; it's just that goldfish get large and are very messy. A betta is a much much better choice for your tank. ^-^
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:13 AM   #6 
sugahbabe

Yes, I don't think I wanna go there again but an actual fish store is in another city and I only take the bus. I also have to buy a heater.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2012, 01:29 AM   #7 
SilkySiren

I'm sorry about your goldie too, and getting bad info...it's sad it happens so much. :(

For heaters...I've found Hydor THEO heaters, althought they cost a bit more, to be the most reliable...Tetra ones seem to have technical bugs (over heating, dying after a few weeks)...PETCO brand ones I had a few & they worked fine as well. This is onetrue case of, you get what you pay for.
Pick up a digital thermometer too if you can...just to double check temp often...the stick on therms are not as accurate.

I have to respectfully disagree on the not being able to cycle a 3.5 gallon tank :) It can be done,
but mine too over a month to get levels correct...I used a cocktail shrimp to do it, no live fish...and tested it every 3-4 days to see the progress. Once cycled with plenty of good bacteria, it was good for 25-30% changes once a week, longer once I added in live fast growing plants. :)
SilkySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #8 
Myates

A 3.5 can't hold a cycle. The surface area is not large enough to establish the proper bacteria... it can seem "cycled" but it will quickly lose it.. it can go through a lot of "mini" cycles, but never be stable. Not to mention that anything under 5 gallons should be cleaned twice a week will cause any "cycle" it has to drop.

Right now, Silky, you are seeing good numbers because of the live plants- as they will turn things around. But if you had none, most likely you will see that your tank isn't actually cycled.. just being cleaned well with live plants :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:43 PM   #9 
sugahbabe

I plan on getting a 5 or 10 gallon tank when I have the extra cash. I really am trying to get into this hobby so ive been doing a lot of research. My roommates also have fish.

Im going tomorrow to get a heater and a cave so I can continue preparing for my Betta. I noticed today my tank has been very cold :( So I gotta definitely keep up on getting it warm but unfortunately my room has always been the coldest. Ive had my filter going on since I cleaned my tank and I did put in some water conditioner. Should I also purchase an PH & Ammonia thing as well?
Old 02-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #10 
thekoimaiden

If by thing you mean test kit, yes. It's always a good item to have around and a must if you plan to cycle a tank. The API master test kit is the one most of us swear by.

Another thought you might want to think about: if you know you want to upgrade, you should look into getting a heater for a 5 or 10 gal tank that way you only have to buy one.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote