Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2012, 08:49 PM   #1 
vermax

Spring break!! Without my bettas... :(

I'm flying to Florida for Spring Break and I have to leave my 7 bettas in my dorm. No one can check in on them, feed them or change their water, as the dorms are closed for the duration of break. I've read that it's ok to leave bettas without food for one week, which is how long I will be gone.

I'm planning on doing 100% water changes on my tanks under 5 gallons this upcoming week. Then, doing 50% water changes next Thursday, the day before I leave. I'll continue to feed them until I leave on Friday evening. I return the following Sunday morning. I'm not leaving any food blocks or anything for them. Only the 5 gallon is filtered, but they are all heated.

How does this sound?

I just have two concerns... One is that my baby betta, who is almost fully grown, is in a 1 gallon. Will she be okay in that tank? And without food?

The other is for my two rescue bettas. One has fin rot and needs regular water changes.

The other was dying in the pet store with heavily inflamed gills and is seriously malnourished.So far she's doing well, and I'd like to keep her that way. I feel like she needs to be fed regularly and have water changes to prevent her gills from being inflamed again.

Should I put them in larger tanks to keep the water quality up? Should I invest in filters for them? Or should I contact the airlines to see if I can bring at least the malnourished female with me?

Sorry for the rambling, I just want to make sure my babies will be okay without me!
vermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:32 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

I see a larger problem. Do the dorms turn off the electricity when they're closed? I know mine did.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #3 
vermax

Ours do not. I kept some perishables in our fridge over Thanksgiving break, and everything was fine when I returned. None of the electronics were that I left plugged in were reset or anything either. I wouldn't be leaving my bettas here if I thought they;e be turning off the electricity. That would be soooo not good.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:42 PM   #4 
kfish

I left Mr. Fish over spring break (10 days) in his cycled 5 gallon... the plants didn't like it very much being in the dark, but Mr. Fish was fine. No food needed.

The 1 gallon/sick fishies you have are a concern, though... Not sure what to tell you! Some airlines do let you bring fish. Ask!
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:50 PM   #5 
thekoimaiden

I don't think bringing her with you is a good idea either as the change in water parameters and stress of travel will weaken her even more. Upgrading won't do too much good seeing as you would still need to change the water, and a cycle takes a long time to establish.

Can you take them somewhere and have someone look after them? Like a friend with an apartment or home?
Old 02-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #6 
Shirleythebetta

Try those cheap feeder things you drop in the water and it feeds them like seven days. lol i hope someone can explain it better than that. They are like three dollars a pack.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:31 PM   #7 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleythebetta View Post
Try those cheap feeder things you drop in the water and it feeds them like seven days. lol i hope someone can explain it better than that. They are like three dollars a pack.
Those do not work. They only foul up the water much faster. I wouldn't go around recommending them, as they really do nothing, its not food for the fish at all.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #8 
thekoimaiden

+1 to that! They just decompose and release toxins into the water faster than the fish does. In a small tank this could be lethal for the fish.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:16 PM   #9 
vermax

Shirleythebetta - From what I've read about the vacation feeders, it doesn't seem like it's worth it. I'd rather not feed the healthy bettas and keep their ammonia output low while I'm gone.

thekoimaiden - I honestly don't have anybody at all to look after her. Everyone I know who lives off campus is leaving for spring break and vacationing themselves. And since I am leaving straight from school and not going home at all, my only options are to leave her or bring her.

However, I am going home this weekend, as my mother is driving down to Florida before I fly down and she has to take my salamanders (I couldn't find anybody to take care of them either, and they're super low maintenance). My mom has already asked me if I wanted her to drive the sick fishie to Florida. If I have to take her, would it be better to fly or drive?
Old 02-23-2012, 06:03 PM   #10 
kfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermax View Post
Shirleythebetta - From what I've read about the vacation feeders, it doesn't seem like it's worth it. I'd rather not feed the healthy bettas and keep their ammonia output low while I'm gone.

thekoimaiden - I honestly don't have anybody at all to look after her. Everyone I know who lives off campus is leaving for spring break and vacationing themselves. And since I am leaving straight from school and not going home at all, my only options are to leave her or bring her.

However, I am going home this weekend, as my mother is driving down to Florida before I fly down and she has to take my salamanders (I couldn't find anybody to take care of them either, and they're super low maintenance). My mom has already asked me if I wanted her to drive the sick fishie to Florida. If I have to take her, would it be better to fly or drive?
Why don't you have your mom bring her down and have her bring a few gallons of the water from your college with her, so you have some of the same water to acclimate her in slowly? I think that's your best bet.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote