Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #1 
Blue Fish

Aquatic plants, lillies, care of plants? (totally new to plants)

I have a question about aquatic plants...I'm new to plants, but years ago I used to do lillies in the tops of bowls (Please don't stone me...I didn't know...and oh how I regret it!), but now I've got divided 20 gallon tanks, each with 2 bettas, and a filter. The cycle is started/established, seems to be stable, but still checking it just to make sure nothing is spiking or anything like that as the established cycle is still new.

(Had one started before, did an experiment wherein the cycle was started in the *FILTER* and sponges, and not in the tank, and it worked...but then I went out of town and the filter stopped, got too hot, wasn't fed, and I lost it, had to start again.)

I know that plants are good, and I'd seen on here that lillies are actually okay to use, and are actually much easier for me to find around here than actual "tank" plants. Is this the case (are lillies okay), or am I mistaken?

And if so...how to care for the lillies? Roots only in the water, leaves and lower stems *out* of the water, otherwise they'll rot?
So how is it best to put the lillies in there? With the vases the shape of the vase held the lilly where I needed it to be, but with a tank I'm not sure how to do that.

Any help or information is greatly appreciated!!
And if all else fails...I'll just order some duckweed online and be done with it. ;) I've heard it's easy to grow, so surely even I can handle that. ;)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:25 PM   #2 
sandybottom
Reference Team

could you grow it out of the filter? or grow it in one of those small plastic betta holders that hang on the tank?
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:37 PM   #3 
Blue Fish

I wondered about the filter. Would it hurt the filter?
Mine are cascade filters, with a cartridge and some of that plastic mesh stuff that is supposed to provide more surface area for the BB, so there's a fair amount of flow in it from the cascade, would that hurt the lilly or the filter?

If I grow it in something attached to the tank, do I need to put the roots into anything, like gravel or dirt or something, or just have the roots in the water and the stems/leaves above the surface?
I ask this because before some of the lillies would get root rot and die..and I was never sure what I was doing wrong there. I'm assuming too much stem in the water?
Old 12-20-2012, 10:54 PM   #4 
sandybottom
Reference Team

peace lilys are not meant to grow in water and will rot eventually,some right away,some after a few years. they do better in soil as their roots need to breathe between waterings. if put in filter you'd need to keep the roots trimmed so it doesn't ruin your filter.i recommend trying a different plant.if you want it to grow out the top of your tank then i would try some of the terrarium plants in the tubes at petco. the peacock fern is one of these. they grow roots in water the rest out. just know that the peace lily will only work temporarily.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:07 PM   #5 
sandybottom
Reference Team

hygro may be another option. you plant this one in the substrate and it will grow up out of the tank. it has beautiful pink and green leaves and blue/purple flowers. when it gets scraggly,just clip some nice stems and replant these in the substrate.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:57 AM   #6 
Blue Fish

Ahh, thanks for the information! I don't have any substrate because three of my six bettas refuse to eat from the surface...and will *only* eat from the bottom of the tank. 9_9. So annoying. So, I have to "clean up" after their meals twice a day with a turkey baster, and not having to work around substrate is a big, big plus. I just have tons of silk plants and things for the BB to cling to instead of a substrate.
Thanks so much for the info though, and I'll definitely NOT do the lillies. :)
Old 12-21-2012, 06:32 AM   #7 
Nothingness

if you have cats be careful with peace lilies as they are lethal to cats if ingested
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:10 AM   #8 
Tikibirds

There are aquatic lilly plants you can get

http://www.shop.plantedaquariumscent...ata-dlil01.htm
Dwarf Lilly - dont let the name fool you - it's the biggesst plant I have! And very easy, undemanding plant. Once the lilly reaches the surface, it will continue to grow, creeping along the surface. I got some stalks that are like 2 feet long.

If you dont have substrate - anubias and java ferns don't get planted but tied down onto rocks and decor.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote