Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2012, 04:08 PM   #11 
ChibreneyDragon

BTW... If I went back into the swing of it, if you have bred bettas, what have you used to feed the young fry? I had issues with daphniea cultures, and brine shrimp clouded the water.
ChibreneyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:40 PM   #12 
Tikibirds

The same thing happened to me. First 4 bettas all died in like 24 hours

I came to the conclusion that petco just sucks. I make sure the fish is alert in his little cup and does not have any fuzzies growing on him.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:44 PM   #13 
daniomania

SPRING WATER???? NO way! no nutrience use tap wate rwith water conditioner. GOOD LUCK!!!:)
daniomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:47 PM   #14 
Leeniex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
The same thing happened to me. First 4 bettas all died in like 24 hours

I came to the conclusion that petco just sucks. I make sure the fish is alert in his little cup and does not have any fuzzies growing on him.
The two I bought from Petco died within two days. My Petsmart boys do fine. My Walmart guy has lived the longest. Go figure.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:03 PM   #15 
ChibreneyDragon

I finally figured it out. I had to get a new testing kit, and discuss water with the local freshwater fish store.

South Carolina is one of the worst places to use tap water.

I need to double shock the water with detoxifier, and water treatments. The ammonia levels in the tap water are so high the test tubes turn black, and that is after using the recommended amount for treatment.

So, I have to treat my water every week, and watch levels carefully. All my previous fish died... including my lavender Double Halfmoon Rosetail...

I now have only ONE fish. And he is a red walmart veil tail with horrible red loss. His name is Hershey's Kisses...and he is indestructible.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:20 PM   #16 
kapeterson24

Where in SC are you? I used bottled water when I had betta before, but read that tap is better. Didn't have a lot to invest so haven't gotten a test kit. Just conditioner. Little nervous now. Sorry to revive an old post. We are in the upstate. Wondering if it is worse near the coast or if it makes any difference.
kapeterson24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:35 PM   #17 
ChibreneyDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapeterson24 View Post
Where in SC are you? I used bottled water when I had betta before, but read that tap is better. Didn't have a lot to invest so haven't gotten a test kit. Just conditioner. Little nervous now. Sorry to revive an old post. We are in the upstate. Wondering if it is worse near the coast or if it makes any difference.
It isn't that expensive to get the ammonia test kit, or the all in one strip. I just make sure I use an ammonia detoxifier, and a water conditioner. Then I test the water again...everything is going great with my bettas.

Oh, I live near Charleston.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:45 PM   #18 
Blue Fish

Oh, I'm so sorry about your losses...but I'm glad you were finally able to figure it out...even if the water sucks. :P

I had the same thing happen with the walmart fish...It blows my mind that the fish from walmart are the healthiest/toughest. Seriously...and it seems to be all the walmarts, not just ones in certain areas. Bizarre.
I've also noticed that certain breeds seem to be healthier. My crowntails are definitely the toughest, followed by veils...and then everything else.
Petco fish are usually really sick I've noticed, fortunately I've only had one death, and he died the night I purchased him, and I was not surprised. I have one who is apparently just determined to live, because he had ammonia poisioning so badly his scales were sloughing off in his tiny cup full of rancid, food and waste laden water. :( Fortunately, he made it through and now has lovely delta fins...when he doesn't chew them off...But he's my little survivor.

Petco does NOT take care of their fish. :( I can't tell about the ones at Petsmart, because they use a blue dye in the water...I like to believe that's to help the fish, but I'm mostly positive it's to prevent people from really being able to see the fish and hiding the nasty water. :(
Pet Supplies Plus seems to do a fairly good job, and walmart...of all places...seems to have pretty decent water conditions. There's never enough water in there, but it's usually pretty clean, and they always have the "betta water" sitting around with the cups. I think they just dump them out and add water in every couple of days, so there's not really any "care" going on, but they're inadvertantly doing the right thing. Or maybe they just rarely get fed at the walmart, so their water is less polluted? Weird.

Anyway, I'm just rambling now, I'm so glad you were able to figure out the problem! :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:43 PM   #19 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Fish View Post
I can't tell about the ones at Petsmart, because they use a blue dye in the water...I like to believe that's to help the fish, but I'm mostly positive it's to prevent people from really being able to see the fish and hiding the nasty water. :(
I work at PetSmart. We are told that it is a medication to prevent things like fin rot. I do not know exactly what is in it (as I do not work in the pet care department). But, I can say that at my store I have never noticed any fin rot issues. Actually, at my store the fish are generally very healthy. The pet care people really do care about the fish. Actually, I think almost everyone in the store owns a betta themselves.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:59 AM   #20 
Blue Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesMom View Post
I work at PetSmart. We are told that it is a medication to prevent things like fin rot. I do not know exactly what is in it (as I do not work in the pet care department). But, I can say that at my store I have never noticed any fin rot issues. Actually, at my store the fish are generally very healthy. The pet care people really do care about the fish. Actually, I think almost everyone in the store owns a betta themselves.
Thanks so much for the information!! I had hoped it was something positive like that. :) I've only purchased one from Petsmart so far, and he's actually a gift for a friend's daughter, so I'm thrilled to know that he should be healthy. :) Thanks again! :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote