Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #1 
mccabe2001

Question Best friends with a Betta Splendens in 17g tank

Hi All, New here today as i'm in the final throws of 'fishless cycling' my new 64li (17g) tank.

Will be looking to move my 6 Glowlight Tetras over to their new home in a month or so. But my wife is so keen to put a betta (red or blue) in the tank in a few months (once all settled), I'm a little more reluctant however, they look beautiful but I believe a betta will leave me a little restricted with other fishys later.

I'm sure this one's been discussed dozens of times, but If I did have a single male betta with my 6 Glowlights, what else could I or shouldn't I put in the 17g tank ??

I've had some very good advise from a couple of local fish stores, but many contridict each other when it comes to adding the betta.

Any advise and fish stocks, types and numbers would all be very welcome, especially from keepers rather than those just trying to sell them to me

Thanks John
mccabe2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:35 AM   #2 
fishman12

I'm definitely no expert on stocking, but I don't think Glowlights can be in with a betta. I'm not sure though...

No sharks, no Chinese Algae Eaters... Probably nothing marked as aggressive. Most types of shrimp and corydoras are okay with a betta.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #3 
Bombalurina

Glolights should be fine. They are basically neon tetras, which many people keep with bettas successfully. However, I would up the school to 8, as the more tetras you have, the less likely they are to nip.

I would also get a school of bottom dwellers (6 or so) of cories or kuhli loaches. :) This will give you activity on all levels of the tank.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:49 AM   #4 
mccabe2001

I like the idea of the cories, but was looking to home a Golden Nugget Plec around the bottom too.

Would they still all get on ?
Old 02-21-2012, 03:19 PM   #5 
LittleBeta

I know neon tetras and guppies can both go with Bettas, I'm not sure if they would go with the glow fish though.
LittleBeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:10 PM   #6 
mccabe2001

I had a look at some cories at the local fish store earlier this evening and they look good, also some lemon tetras. But I didn't think guppies where good partners for a betta as they look too flash and may be seen as a rival and equally neons as they seem too fast and nippy ? I know many fish stores do put bettas in with neons as if to prove a point, but i also get the impression neons are fine if they are in a large enough school and have better fun than chasing a bettas fancy tail ?
Old 02-21-2012, 04:15 PM   #7 
LittleBeta

Tetras and Guppies do perfictly fine with Bettas. I have then together right now in one tank. And no, the tetras don't like to chase the Bettas, if there in a group and a big emough tank they will mostly stay away from the Betta.
LittleBeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #8 
fishman12

You might be getting a lit overstocked: 1 betta, 6-8 Glowlights, cories... + maybe a Plec... And definitely no GloFish.

:) Sorry, again no expert here.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #9 
daniomania

A betta............. i dont think they will do well with a lot of fish. i would get a small 2 g tank for the betta so your other fish ca nrest in comfort. the betta(mine at least) never leaves my tetras alone so i split them up....betta personalities though!
good luck!
daniomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #10 
Bombalurina

It is entirely dependent on the betta's personality as to whether he gets on with the other fish or not. Working on your average, relatively-docile-but-not-tolerant-of-everything betta, I would not recommend guppies. Sometimes it works, but you are right - sometimes the tails are just asking for trouble. Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

How big do the Golden Nuggets get? I would choose between either the pleco OR the cories, not both. Lemon tetras are also nice, but those + the glowlights would be your maximum. You have room for a betta + two schools (either tetras or bottom feeders or both), or a betta + a school (be it cories of tetras) + a pleco. Anything else would really be pushing it.

That said, have you considered Endlers? They are a safer bet than guppies.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote