Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-26-2012, 04:58 AM   #21 
mzxeternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post
Female bettas need to be in groups of at least 5 to be stable. Glofish need to be in a 20 Gallon+, I think your overstocked for a 14g. :/ Everyone maybe getting along now, but your in for problems if you don't bump up the number of females in there.
Actually, 5 is a common belief, but not necessarily required. As long as there are more than 2, it can work (as it has in my case, successfully :) )

The Aqadvisor calculator is actually somewhat conservative on stocking levels, my stocking level is fine (but I wouldn't add anything else at this point).

My fish aren't stressed and the glofish have plenty of room to swim.

And as I said previously, I will be upgrading to a 20 gallon later this month.
mzxeternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:28 AM   #22 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzxeternal View Post
Actually, 5 is a common belief, but not necessarily required. As long as there are more than 2, it can work (as it has in my case, successfully :) )

The Aqadvisor calculator is actually somewhat conservative on stocking levels, my stocking level is fine (but I wouldn't add anything else at this point).

My fish aren't stressed and the glofish have plenty of room to swim.

And as I said previously, I will be upgrading to a 20 gallon later this month.
It actually is required. You can do 4, but 5 is much much better. I'/d upgrade too a 30g and get a few more girlies if i were you.

How long have you had them together? It can sometimes take a while for agression to come out.

I don't know what to think about aqadvisor. I've told by some people it's great, and others it's terrible!
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:30 AM   #23 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Sorry OP! Me and mzxeternal kinda hijacked your thread. lol
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #24 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post
It actually is required. You can do 4, but 5 is much much better. I'/d upgrade too a 30g and get a few more girlies if i were you.

How long have you had them together? It can sometimes take a while for agression to come out.

I don't know what to think about aqadvisor. I've told by some people it's great, and others it's terrible!
It is definitely a good idea to have more girls, simply because it is more stable, but sometimes (and I'm definitely not recommending it), fewer can work. For instance, if girls start to die off in a sorority due to age, sometimes just 2 or 3 will remain living happily together. My girls are so chilled with each other that I could probably have them in pairs without any trouble. It's not a good idea to start with so few, though. You need to know your fish and be prepared for anything.
Maisy is right, though - it can take months for aggression to show.

I like AqAdvisor as a very basic guide, but it should be taken with a grain of salt as it doesn't take a lot of things into account.

With glofish (and any standard danio for that matter), footprint is what is important, not volume. A 14 gallon with a long footprint would be better than a 20 gallon with a small one, for instance. :) My 17 inch 5 gallon would be better for danios that my friend's 10 inch 8 gallon (I still wouldn't keep danios in it, of course.)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:00 PM   #25 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

you guys are getting me worried!
is my tank overstocked?
1 female betta
1 male platy and 3 females
1 female tetra and 10 ghost shrimp and if it is overstocked who needs to be rehomed?
thanks.

Last edited by ILLBETHEJUDGE; 02-27-2012 at 10:03 PM. Reason: 10 gallon tank
ILLBETHEJUDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:12 PM   #26 
mzxeternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
It is definitely a good idea to have more girls, simply because it is more stable, but sometimes (and I'm definitely not recommending it), fewer can work. For instance, if girls start to die off in a sorority due to age, sometimes just 2 or 3 will remain living happily together. My girls are so chilled with each other that I could probably have them in pairs without any trouble. It's not a good idea to start with so few, though. You need to know your fish and be prepared for anything.
Maisy is right, though - it can take months for aggression to show.

I like AqAdvisor as a very basic guide, but it should be taken with a grain of salt as it doesn't take a lot of things into account.

With glofish (and any standard danio for that matter), footprint is what is important, not volume. A 14 gallon with a long footprint would be better than a 20 gallon with a small one, for instance. :) My 17 inch 5 gallon would be better for danios that my friend's 10 inch 8 gallon (I still wouldn't keep danios in it, of course.)
I forgot to mention previously that my tank is a long. With all due respect to those who disagree, i've been running the same setup for quite some time with no problems at all. My filtration is more than sufficient , my fish have shown no signs of stress, and my 3 female bettas get along fine. They've all established their own territories and do not fight. The tank is well planted, with caves and plenty of hiding spaces.

With that said, of course I do keep an eye on them. I have several small 2.5 gallon tanks with heaters and sponge filters in storage in case there is a problem in the future.

As far as the glofish, the tank is long and i've never had any issues with them either. They swim around the entire tank, and aren't nippers.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:20 PM   #27 
mzxeternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLBETHEJUDGE View Post
you guys are getting me worried!
is my tank overstocked?
1 female betta
1 male platy and 3 females
1 female tetra and 10 ghost shrimp and if it is overstocked who needs to be rehomed?
thanks.
The only thing that sounds questionable is the 1 tetra. What kind of tetra is it? I know that Neons and Cardnials must be in a school of 5-6 at least, otherwise they will be stressed and may die. Other than that, it sounds like you wouldn't be overstocked unless you're using a 10 gallon, which if you are you might be slightly overstocked. Your filtration level might be at its limit as well, since the ghost shrimp leave more waste than other varieties, such as the cherries.

If your tetra is a variety that needs a school, I would recommend rehoming it. Other than the tetra, your stock sounds ok for 10 gallon, great for 15.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:42 PM   #28 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

Yes i am using a 10 gallon! i think i would rehome the tetra and BTW is a longfin serpae tetra, he seems okay and can someone recommend a good filter for my ten gallon?
ILLBETHEJUDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:42 PM   #29 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I'm pretty sure every tetra species needs to be in a school- smaller fish tend to feel more secure in groups.
Serpae tetra are the ones that aren't really betta safe if I recall, I'd probably try to rehome it to someone with a school..
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:46 PM   #30 
mzxeternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLBETHEJUDGE View Post
Yes i am using a 10 gallon! i think i would rehome the tetra and BTW is a longfin serpae tetra, he seems okay and can someone recommend a good filter for my ten gallon?
Yes, that species does need a minimum of 5 which just wont work in that tanks, besides with out that tetra I think your stocking level is ok otherwise.

I recommend the Aqueon Quietflow 10 filter highly. It's very economical, quiet and does a great job. It filters up to 20 gallons, but I use 2 since my 14 gallon is heavily stocked.

Also if you can't find someone who already has a school of the tetras, try bringing it to a local pet shop that sells the same breed. Many will accept your fish into their stocks gladly.

Last edited by mzxeternal; 02-27-2012 at 10:49 PM.