Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2012, 10:20 AM   #1 
xjenuhfur

So I've got a tailbiter...

I went away over the weekend as I've done before, and I came back yesterday (left Friday, came back Sunday). I go and look at Goblin, and he's bitten his back and bottom fins off! Well not off, but hes bitten a significant portion off. The top fin is fine, and he had a 75% water change. The only thing that was different is that there are 4 ghost shrimp in the tank this weekend.
He hasn't bitten himself since I've been home. Maybe he was just stressed from being left alone with the shrimp by himself for the weekend? He was eating like a piggie when I left on Friday, but he's barely eating one pellet now. I'm a worried betta Mommy.
Suggestions on making him feel better?

Btw, the tank is 4 gallons, its him and 4 ghost shrimp. I don't have a test kit so I have no idea what the levels are at. And the temperature in my dorm is usually around 74-76. I'm working on getting the heater, but since its a BiOrb I have to buy the special heater/holder so it'll stay in the tank and not just float around aimlessly. :) Will try to get a picture of him.
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #2 
Luimeril

hhmm.... tail biters are pains in our necks. how planted is his tank? i had a tail biter that would ONLY tail bite when i wasn't home. i cured it by giving him a good number of plants, and rearranging them at every single water change. kept him busy and secure.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #3 
xjenuhfur

I've got a picture of the tank and him from last week when I changed it.

He seemed to love it, and its got an underground filter. I just added the marimo too. Was in quarantine for a week before adding it to the tank.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #4 
Luimeril

hhmm.... if you can, try rearranging the decor when you change his water. that's how i broke Dante. he did a doozy on his tail, too. ripped half of it off! o-o if that don't work, you could do as i did when my current delta, Ichi, started biting.

i gave up. if Ichi's happy with a shorter tail, then i'm fine with it. it doesn't hurt him, and he did get more active after destroying his tail, so... :B
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #5 
xjenuhfur

I'm starting to seriously think it's the ghost shrimp eating his tail, and not him. I was watching him, I had just fed him. And then the ghost shrimp came up to him and started harassing him and he spit out the food. Then stole it like 30seconds later. I pulled him out for a water change, and he seems much calmer, minus the first freak out of being moved. I'm gonna have to remove the larger shrimp from the tank. The little ones are minding their p's and q's, but the big ones are being mean. Maybe I'll let him by himself for a night and run out and grab a little tank for the more aggressive shrimp. Let him have his tank back.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #6 
xjenuhfur

Ater closer inspection, haha holding bins are great for this stuff, I noted the definite munching marks in his own tail. I think the bigger shrimps are harassing him and stressing him out too much. I'll remove them tomorrow and get them their own tank. They are okay in a smaller tank, correct?
I have Goblin sitting by my side as I type and he seems more at ease, and is lounging on his leaf and the plant I took from his tank and put into the container. I can't leave him in this container overnight, as its just a quart, but a few hours of rest will do him good, I hope.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #7 
mjoy79

this is my experience. So it may not happen for you. But I currently own 3 chronic tail/fin biters. I've had them all for at least 6 months. At one point I had another biter but since I've kept him by himself in his own 3 gallon tank he has left his tail alone, thankfully. but there's still the other 3. Nothing I've tried has cut down the biting longer than a month or so.
Sawyer is very picky about his tank. He doesn't like spaces too small or he gets depressed. But not too big either, LOL. He has enjoyed half of a divided 10G for some time now and leaves his tail alone unless he gets a glimpse of another betta.
the other two - Joey and Jack. will not leave their tails alone. I did have them on the same counter up until a few days ago and now they're on their own shelf so maybe not seeing any other fish will help. But I'm not holding my breath! (BTW I do change around their decor when I do water changes and that has only helped a little.)

Last edited by mjoy79; 02-20-2012 at 02:11 PM.
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:05 PM   #8 
xjenuhfur

The next water change I'll move his decor around a little, I did a 25% today. But didnt move anything yet. He seemed to like the new stuff when I put it in, except the betta hammock. Could've cared less about that. But the tank does have an airstone, and he sleeps down in his cave at night, so I don't see why that would bother him. We are going on a month and he likes to pop the bubbles with his face.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #9 
xjenuhfur

So, I start to examine the munchkin today, and it looks like he's munching on his top fins. But, how does he even reach them? Maybe he isn't a tailbiter and he's got fin rot. D:
Old 02-21-2012, 09:02 PM   #10 
xjenuhfur

Managed to get a shot of him yesterday, its actually worse today than it was yesterday.

I'm concerned he's actually sick now, and that the ghost shrimp were carrying something when I added them to the tank.