Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2012, 12:35 AM   #1 
Jnguy073

Betta's in a 10g

So I know it really all depends on the fish's behavior itself,

But has anyone tried having 4-5 female bettas and 1 male betta in a 10g tank? Planted with a lot of hiding places, fully cycled and heated???
Jnguy073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:12 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

That depends......it may or may not work, however, I don't recommend it....usually what happens is that the male ends up torn to pieces as the females gang up on him.......Sometimes you can have success with a pair in a very heavy planted 10gal tank-but again I don't recommend it....lots of risk for both...not to mention the non-stop spawning they may happen and you end up with lots of unwanted fry and/or mass deaths that can crash the tank.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:58 PM   #3 
LittleBeta

I wouldn't recommend it either unless you WANT to breed the male Betta and that's why you would put him in there.
LittleBeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #4 
daniomania

I definalty do NOT reccomend this. Bettas although depending on their personality's will no go well with other bettas. I had tried that becasue petsmart said to test it out....they all died. the females &males were pecking, nippping and biting..... :( dont want your bettas dying!
daniomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:58 AM   #5 
Bombalurina

+1 billions. Definitely don't try it. It is simply not worth the risk.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #6 
XxBettaLoverxX

Hello I have tried this before. I started it with one male in a 10 gl. Then I got 3 females and a load of plants of various sizes and shapes on the same day. And I took the male out while I planted the tank then put him in for about 20 mins so he can establish his territory, then I put the three females in at the same time (after floating the cups for 15mins).
The reason you want more than just a couple females is so that when the male starts to chase one female he will spot another one and start chasing her. So no one female is picked on more than the other. And also the females themselves establish their own hierarchy.
They were fine for about 2+ weeks then one female started to nip at the males fins and I wanted him to stay pretty (who wouldn't want their male betta to stay pretty lol) So I separated them all and got another 10 gl tank to make as a sorority for my lovely females, which is working perfectly fine. And I separated the first 10gl tank into 3 parts and got two more male bettas. And my separated male betta tank looks and functions beautifully. Just thought I'd put in my two cents :) best of luck to you.
XxBettaLoverxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:10 PM   #7 
Silverfang

I have never done this, and would not recommend it. Ever. Females can sometimes be kept together, but sometimes they can't. I would never put a male in with a female or females, for any purpose other than spawning, and then one male one female, and even then you have the risk of loosing one.

I would suggest having either females, or one male and say 5-6 corys (pandas are a good choice). OR dividing the tank in two and having two bettas (male or female).
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote