Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2012, 09:44 PM   #1 
MrVampire181

Mr.V here!

Figured I'd talk about myself. If you've been on the forum for a few years you'll probably remember me. There was a time I was asked EVERYTHING on here lol.

About me. I'm 15 years old, I breed bettas and guppies, I've worked with many different set ups and techniques and I can share about 3 1/2 years of experience. I live in Aurora, Colorado. My family is a German, Portuguese, Spaniard, and French mix (yes we're mutts lol) and I speak Castillian Spanish (the lisp lol), Portuguese, English (duh lol) and I understand Galician, Catalan, Latin, some French and some German. Languages are very easy for me to learn.

I have four dogs, and my 13 year old cat passed away yesterday from a tumor near his kidneys and minimal liver function. He was my buddy and always helped me with water changes... though I swear he's haunting me haha.

More about fish. My second cousin was an angel fish breeder, my dad keeps tetras (I kind of want to steal his 30 gallon even though I have two myself haha) and my brother works at the California Science Center on tank maintenance. He used to have a 75 gallon fresh water and a few salt water tanks.

My preferred methods for keeping fish differ from the average betta keeper since I have more fish at any given time than you'll ever have. Best fish are kept in 1/2 gallon to 1 gallon jars changed every day for the most part and lesser quality fish (except males of course) are kept in 66 quart plastic tubs with large water changes three times a week.

My spawn methods differ in the sense I use the shallow spawn method of spawning my fish. I generally don't use microworms or vinegar eels but I jump right into baby brine shrimp. My fry are raised with larger water changes, lots of food, and I can be rather harsh with them (hence the reason I end up with very few deformed fish, survival of the fittest). Fry are moved into either a 30 gallon grow out tank or a 20 gallon depending on size. When they're big enough to eat chopped frozen blood worms they eat those and are eventually given Atison Betta Pro (the ONLY pellet food I recommend feeding your bettas).

So that's pretty much it lol. BTW I have no fish available to sell so please don't contact me asking about fish to buy. I have NO fish to sell.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:08 AM   #2 
mandi85710

Wow that's a lot and sounds like you really know your bettas!!! So sorry to hear about your cat. :( I just lost my 18 year old cat in September. She was fine one day and the next couldn't move. The vet said she was very bad. She had never been sick a day in her life. So I definitely feel for you on that issue. Oh and I know what you mean when you say you think it's haunting you. I still today feel like she is somewhere chillin like she used too. I guess its all the years they were right there and then they aren't. I had her cremated and she is now on my dresser and that creeps me out...lol. So maybe she really is haunting me!!! But I just wanted to say hi and say sorry about your cat. Also I have thought about getting bettas but everyone always talks me out of it. So next time if it's cool I will just come straight to you with questions? :)
mandi85710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping....good to have you as part of our community.....

Nice to see you are back......

Enjoy your stay....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #4 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandi85710 View Post
Wow that's a lot and sounds like you really know your bettas!!! So sorry to hear about your cat. :( I just lost my 18 year old cat in September. She was fine one day and the next couldn't move. The vet said she was very bad. She had never been sick a day in her life. So I definitely feel for you on that issue. Oh and I know what you mean when you say you think it's haunting you. I still today feel like she is somewhere chillin like she used too. I guess its all the years they were right there and then they aren't. I had her cremated and she is now on my dresser and that creeps me out...lol. So maybe she really is haunting me!!! But I just wanted to say hi and say sorry about your cat. Also I have thought about getting bettas but everyone always talks me out of it. So next time if it's cool I will just come straight to you with questions? :)
Thanks. It is weird. I keep putting things away or closing doors and going "Don't want the cat getting in here.". It's very weird.

Of course you can ask me questions! Always ready to help!
Old 03-04-2012, 07:05 PM   #5 
Pitluvs

Nice to read about you Mr! I too share a lot of your preference with Betta keeping, although I don't breed but I do like how you handle that as well. Sorry to hear about your cat :( That must be so hard :(

We actually just started feeding Attison's Betta Pro and I wouldn't switch to another pellet if you paid me. The results are amazing, the food is the right size and my guys just adore it. I have more than what I need right now, so I've been sending samples to friends lol I couldn't agree more with this being the best food for Bettas.

Do you have any experience with the Betta Fry Starter food by them?

Also, it's nice to see you posting again :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #6 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
Nice to read about you Mr! I too share a lot of your preference with Betta keeping, although I don't breed but I do like how you handle that as well. Sorry to hear about your cat :( That must be so hard :(

We actually just started feeding Attison's Betta Pro and I wouldn't switch to another pellet if you paid me. The results are amazing, the food is the right size and my guys just adore it. I have more than what I need right now, so I've been sending samples to friends lol I couldn't agree more with this being the best food for Bettas.

Do you have any experience with the Betta Fry Starter food by them?

Also, it's nice to see you posting again :)
I've actually raised a spawn on the starter. I was surprised but they eat it! I still recommend live foods but this stuff is great! It helps if you go on a short trip and need someone to watch the fry. I'll be using it with them from now on (with live food of course as their main diet).

I will NEVER use any pellet food unless it's Atison's. Plus it's cheaper than the pet store food! Also if you ever compare ingredients it's amazing to see the differences. For a couple bucks its a great deal.

The starter is the same way. I've tried Hikari First Bites and the Atison blows it out of the water (pun kind of intended haha). I think it's great. I may just try the spawning method that was included with the instructions.

Last edited by MrVampire181; 03-04-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #7 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Hey Mr.V, welcome back.
Looking forward to more breeding discussions.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:36 AM   #8 
mandi85710

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
Thanks. It is weird. I keep putting things away or closing doors and going "Don't want the cat getting in here.". It's very weird.

Of course you can ask me questions! Always ready to help!
Sorry it's been a while been busy. My cat would sleep on or by my feet and I used to accidentally kick her a LONG time ago when I first got her but got used to her being there so for the longest time never moved a bunch when I slept. One night after she was gone I was laying in bed watching tv and moved my feet and freaked out thinking I kicked her off the bed. My mom was sitting on my bed a few weeks ago and freaked bc she said it felt like Lexie jumped up on the bed beside her. She literally jumped.

It has been almost 6 months and I still do the oh gotta watch for Lexie. I guess it's part of the grieving. That and she was with me for 18 1/2 yrs. She grew up with me. I remember I had a huge pleco in one of my tanks and she would sit right up against the tank and watch him. She didn't care about the other fish that moved a lot she just stared at him all the time waiting for him to move! It was so funny. I'm like you now though I don't have my water changing buddy with me. Oh and she was a talker too. You just look at her and she would meow like crazy and have conversations...lol.

Oh sorry here I am talking about my cat instead of my fish. Sorry I guess I miss her more than I thought! I haven't really ever talked about her either.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:04 AM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Mandi, my mom still "feels" my cat walking over her pillow at night even though my cat has been dead for over 20 years.
MrV knew me before I became a moderator. Not many people here can say that. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:27 AM   #10 
mandi85710

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Mandi, my mom still "feels" my cat walking over her pillow at night even though my cat has been dead for over 20 years.
MrV knew me before I became a moderator. Not many people here can say that. lol
Well very nice to meet you!!! It is spooky some of the stuff that happens. I think my brain is so used to her being around I automatically hear and see things out of the corner of my eye and things. I just wish she was still here.

My Dalmation Molly is driving me nuts. I think I see a gravid spot on her so I keep watching so I can save her fry b/c no matter what I plant or do they always eat them all. But I slipped her into the breeder net finally and turned the light off b/c I have the flu and am so tired I can't keep watching her. My male black molly, f silver and f dalmation keep attacking her too so I know it's close to her time but I feel so bad for putting her in the net. Well I felt bad doing it until she swam right into it and I hooked it on the side of my tank and she looked at me with her blue eyes and it was like she was thanking me. I still feel bad though. I am going to head to bed so hopefully in the morning she has had them and I can take her out and the others will leave her alone!