Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2012, 09:27 AM   #1 
mcdeezy25

sickly looking amazon sword/Flourish quest.

I've had him about a week now and a few days ago some leaves started yellowing and getting holes in them. A couple leaves were looking transparent. So I went to the well established LFS i got him from and told him how he was looking and the owner suggested dosing with both Flourish Excel and Flourish Iron.

I guess my question is does that combo of flourish products make sense for my sword?

p.s. My lighting is 2 wpg and my substrate is plain aquarium gravel. I have plans of getting Eco Complete soon.

thank you
mcdeezy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sword plants are root feeders and it may do better with root tabs, however, since this is a new plant it also could be a normal change over from emersed to submersed leaf growth....some swords are grown at the nursery emersed or leaf out of the water and once you submerse the plant it will have a normal die back of emersed leaf and change over to submersed leaf...also make sure the crown is slightly above the substrate-better to plant too shallow than too deep.....

If you bought the plant in a tube or potted-most likely it was emersed grown

What is the kelvin of your light.....kelvin is more important than the watts...also how old is the light bulb and what is your photoperiod....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #3 
mcdeezy25

I am humbly honored that you would come to my aid, Oldfishlady, big fan!

I think it might be worth noting I picked him out of an actual aquarium. He was gorgeous, I spotted him from across the room.
Darn lightbulb didn't have the K temp on there so had to look it up, it is 6500K. The bulb would be no more than 3 weeks old and i've been giving him about 10-11 hrs of light a day.

THanks OFL!
mcdeezy25 is offline   Reply With Quote