Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #1 
DarkAngelsGirl

Aquarium Salt

Hello everyone, I'm DarkAngelsGirl and a proud owner of Zero (long story behind his name and it's on his album if you all are interested). I've taken care of betta fish since I was 11 and it was my aunt and uncle who introduced me to them. Since then I have, some how or another had a betta in my life until they go to Betta heaven. (One of the longest-lived bettas I had was from the end of my elementry school years to the second year of middle school. He lived to be four years old, no joke. I miss my Rainbow.) Anyway, I've always kept my fish in freshwater but now, I can't help but wonder...

Is aquarium salt (about 1/8th teaspoon) okay for a betta? I've always kept them in freshwater and I'm just concerned about Zero. I want him to be as healthy as he can be.

Also, he lives in a 1 gallon aquarium with a filter and air-stones. I do plan on putting him in a five-gallon tank, but as I live in a dorm-room, that makes it a little difficult for the time being.
DarkAngelsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:18 AM   #2 
Bombalurina

Rather than saving for an upgrade, save for a heater. Much cheaper and much more important. :)

Constant use of salt isn't a good idea. Save it for when he is ill (for external problems, not internal ones). :) Freshwater is fine.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #3 
chrissylee13

agreed!
chrissylee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:21 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

As already posted use of long term aquarium salt is not needed or recommended....

It is a great product to use for the right reason, dosage and duration...... as well as use of a small QT container and premixing the treatment water to give you more control, ease in observation and water changes when treatment is needed....

IMO/E- the 1gal is fine to keep a long fin male long term-provided that the water quality and proper temp are maintained....

While filters are optional for this species IMO and especially in the smaller tanks-sometimes the water movement can cause stress and with some can even be the cause of fin damage...not all-but some can have issues with filters....

Love to see pic....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:55 PM   #5 
DarkAngelsGirl

Thank you all very much. I appreciate it!
DarkAngelsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium salt, question