Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-21-2012, 09:45 PM   #1 
Princebetta
New Member
 
Princebetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
my half moon has pretty bad fin rot



Housing

What size is your tank? 5G
What temperature is your tank? 78~
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets, once a week blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? every day or so

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 100% once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? prime, aquarium salt

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: .5
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? see pictures for urself
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? none really
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 months ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? did melafix dosing for a week and did nothing
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? have had for 3 months

I basically need a good fin rot medication. Today I just started dosing with stress coat. I Also do normal doses of aquarium salt, should I add more than instructed on the box? I need to order the fin rot medication online so any good site would be appreciated.

Princebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:23 PM   #2 
Silverfang
Member
 
Silverfang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Newfoundland
I'm not sure what to recommend, other than .5 ammonia reading is bad. In fact anything above .25 calls for an immediate water change. Generally with fin rot increased water changes and sometimes dosing with aquarium salt (depending on the severity) is all that is needed.

However I am not sure that your boy currently has rot. Rot is usually identified by black or red edges, sometimes looking crusty. I'll defer to someone elses wisdom, and point Sakura along. For now clean water is your best bet.

Also, I would advice to not use any more melafix. All of the 'fix medications contain tea tree oil, which, while good for preventing infection, can potentially damage their labyrinth organ (how they breath air). A good diet is also helpful for regrowing lost fins. Live or frozen foods are the best. A pellet with a protein of 42% or better is quite good as well.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:27 PM   #3 
Princebetta
New Member
 
Princebetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
I'm not sure what to recommend, other than .5 ammonia reading is bad. In fact anything above .25 calls for an immediate water change. Generally with fin rot increased water changes and sometimes dosing with aquarium salt (depending on the severity) is all that is needed.

However I am not sure that your boy currently has rot. Rot is usually identified by black or red edges, sometimes looking crusty. I'll defer to someone elses wisdom, and point Sakura along. For now clean water is your best bet.

Also, I would advice to not use any more melafix. All of the 'fix medications contain tea tree oil, which, while good for preventing infection, can potentially damage their labyrinth organ (how they breath air). A good diet is also helpful for regrowing lost fins. Live or frozen foods are the best. A pellet with a protein of 42% or better is quite good as well.
Thanks for your reply. I just checked the pellets, its 38% protein. If its not fin rot what could it possibly be? And yes I became aware of melafix killing bettas i threw it out.
Princebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:31 PM   #4 
xjenuhfur
Member
 
xjenuhfur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SoFla
It looks like your boy is tail biting pretty severely. ):
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:43 PM   #5 
Princebetta
New Member
 
Princebetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjenuhfur View Post
It looks like your boy is tail biting pretty severely. ):
Dang. Is this worse than fin rot?

Last edited by Sakura8; 02-22-2012 at 10:41 AM. Reason: profanity
Princebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:49 PM   #6 
Luimeril
Member
 
Luimeril's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: South Carolina
tail biting can lead to fin rot. it's not better, nor any worse than fin rot. i'd do a water change right away, get rid of that ammonia.

how many decorations do you have? can you get a pic of his full tank? bettas tail bite for many reasons, from boredom to stress. once you figure out why he's doing it, you may be able to stop it.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:50 PM   #7 
Princebetta
New Member
 
Princebetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
BTW ive never seen him bite his tail or swim in circles.
Princebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:55 PM   #8 
Princebetta
New Member
 
Princebetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
tail biting can lead to fin rot. it's not better, nor any worse than fin rot. i'd do a water change right away, get rid of that ammonia.

how many decorations do you have? can you get a pic of his full tank? bettas tail bite for many reasons, from boredom to stress. once you figure out why he's doing it, you may be able to stop it.
Princebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:01 AM   #9 
Sakura8
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elk Grove, California
Hi princebetta. What a handsome boy. The good news is he oes not have finrot . . . Yet. He looks like he's been tail biting, as others suggested, possibly because his tail is too heavy. There may also be some ammonia burn going on because of the high ammonia levels. At .5, the gills begin to burn and at prolonged exposure to that level, he could get permanent damage. Definitely do a water change to get the level down.

For now, I suggest stopping the AQ salt. Generally, you don't want to use AQ salt on a regular basis because it causes a resistance and it can also cause kidney damage. It's best to only use it when something is really wrong.

Keep using the Stress Coat at double the dosage (half a capful for a 5g). If you can, try feeding him lots of frozen foods like frozen bloodworms. His fins should start healing very fast, providing he doesn't keep biting them.

Good luck and keep us updated. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:57 AM   #10 
Princebetta
New Member
 
Princebetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Hi princebetta. What a handsome boy. The good news is he oes not have finrot . . . Yet. He looks like he's been tail biting, as others suggested, possibly because his tail is too heavy. There may also be some ammonia burn going on because of the high ammonia levels. At .5, the gills begin to burn and at prolonged exposure to that level, he could get permanent damage. Definitely do a water change to get the level down.

For now, I suggest stopping the AQ salt. Generally, you don't want to use AQ salt on a regular basis because it causes a resistance and it can also cause kidney damage. It's best to only use it when something is really wrong.

Keep using the Stress Coat at double the dosage (half a capful for a 5g). If you can, try feeding him lots of frozen foods like frozen bloodworms. His fins should start healing very fast, providing he doesn't keep biting them.

Good luck and keep us updated. :)
Thank you, will do now. Im worried that if his fins do grow back he'll go at it again!


BTW do I only use stress coat, or both that and prime?
Princebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My First Half Moon MissRockyHorror Betta Pictures 10 08-12-2011 05:15 PM
Half Moon? Alienchick017 Betta Chat 8 07-13-2011 09:53 PM
Half-Moon! Iziezi Betta Chat 1 05-13-2011 06:19 PM
My first half moon!!! lilchiwolf Betta Chat 2 01-16-2011 03:47 PM
new half moon cjboboy Betta Pictures 21 12-21-2009 12:22 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.