Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2012, 01:30 AM   #1 
killergil

Question Please help!

I just received Killer Gil from a friend a few weeks ago. She got him at a local pet store and all they told her was to feed him twice a day and clean his bowl every two weeks. He was a very happy fish! He ate regularly and would always swim up to greet me. Naturally, I changed his water yesterday. I let the water sit for about 8 hours so it would be the same temperature. Now that he has been in the water for about 24 hours he seems extremely lethargic, isn't eating and is layin on the bottom breathing heavily. He looks miserable! I'm in tears because I don't know what is wrong or how I can help him. I'm new to fish parenting and I'm afraid he's going to die. Please help!!!
killergil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:40 AM   #2 
iElBeau

Did you use water conditioner? Also, allow the water to sit closer to 24 hours in future to allow for "off gassing" and for chlorine to evaporate, although water conditioner deals with chlorine and heavy metals too. He may also just be stressed from the water change, especially because you change it so rarely! (I accidentally killed a guppy when I was 12 this way, because I got it from a girl who changed the water like once a month...). You called it a bowl so I'm going to assume it's 2.5 gallons or less... you should be 100% water changing at least once a week, or you're risking making your fish sick. Good job on making sure the water was the same temperature though! I hope your fish gets better soon.
iElBeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:45 AM   #3 
killergil

Thank you so much! I didn't use conditioner but I'm going to get some tomorrow for sure! Is this something that they usually survive? I'm really worried about my little guy!
Old 02-21-2012, 01:55 AM   #4 
iElBeau

He should survive I think, assuming nothing else is wrong. Go put some water out now for when you change his water tomorrow, and as soon as you get the water conditioner, put the appropriate amount in after you fill the tank, but before you put the fish back in, or according to the instructions. :) Do at the very least a 75% change, if not 100% tomorrow, and he should be fine. If you notice anything else wrong, feel free to mention it! Just keep an eye on him! ... also, idk about where you are, but it's night time here, and my fish is asleep, so he may just be lethargic because he's tired Lol.
iElBeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:58 AM   #5 
killergil

Yeah, it's night time. I should just let him rest. Thank you so very much for your help!!!
Old 02-21-2012, 04:42 AM   #6 
BettaSnap456

You know, you could also put in some AQ salt. It helps with their breathing (as said on the box), and ever since I've been using it I've seen improvement with my fish!
BettaSnap456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:01 AM   #7 
Silverfang

The problem with aquarium salt, is that it is not meant for long term use. When used for prolonged periods it can build up and affect the kidneys.
I know when using it for treatment (at a rate of 1 tsp /gal or greater) it should be used for no more than 10 days.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:44 AM   #8 
Leeniex

Your fish could also be cold. He needs at least a gallon and a heater.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:18 AM   #9 
killergil

Please help!

Okay, fish friends! I have an update with more questions! He is looking better and actually moving now and breathing normally. Now, he swims around spastically doing flips and running into the bottom of the bowl. It looks like he's frustrated and in pain. He will float at the top of the bowl on his side for a bit, and then swims frantically all over again. I read something about a bladder issue and it said to fast him until he takes a big poo. Is this correct? Thank you in advance!!!
Old 02-22-2012, 07:37 AM   #10 
Aus

Did you add any water conditioner yet?
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote