Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2012, 12:36 PM   #11 
Curlyfatbottom

Yeah sorry if ive sounding harsh n rude

If your just planning as you go.
U have a slight to zero chance for the fry to survive.
But that don't mean u just give up.

Fish is not just a fish
It's a pet n it's the owed responsibility to clean up the mess

Please Don't look down on them since theyre cheap n small
It's still a live breathing animal

If u did this to a dog, cat or rabbit
There will be more people raising hell on u
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #12 
jterrero

I have had to plan as I go but so far everything seems good.

I have 2 BBS hatcheries running 12 hours apart.

Sponge Filter is setup but I have not put into tank yet, tomorrow I will start doing water changes, I do not see any dead fry so far this is day 4 after they hatched, day 2 of free swimming.

Father is out the tank, and I have witnessed them eating which was worrying me if the BBS would be too big.

My biggest concern right now is water changes and the sponge filter being activated, other than that everything seems okay even though I am very inexperienced. I may be wrong because this is my first time and i'm sure an experienced breeder will point stuff out that I can be doing better.

I have done the research and my girlfriend has been doing the work of keeping an eye on them and doing the actual work.

If father is a plakat and mother is a VT, who has the stronger genes? What will the fry grow up to be ?
jterrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #13 
jterrero

and yeah you were kinda rude instead of offering help.. but thanks, i am doing my best to keep up with the fry
Old 02-25-2012, 06:44 PM   #14 
styggian

Veiltail with possible plakat recessive carrier.
styggian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:28 PM   #15 
Curlyfatbottom

Will I'm sorry
But there has been a lot of new people here that breed
Without doing the research and expect hand out to how to care for them
On the breeding page there a few sticky
Which can help

If it's a new sponge filter don't run it inside of the fry tank.
Your going to kill everything
Recommend u to run the filter in another tank for a week before you add it to your tank.
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

None of us had any intention of being rude. We just want to help you with your fry.curlyfatbottom. and several others here are experienced. breeders and, I,m sure, are more than happy to help.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #17 
jterrero

Thanks, so far so good, today I started adding water.

Fry are in 10 gallon tank which was down to 2.5 inches of water, today I added an inch and a half. Tomorrow I will add another inch and will continue to do so until the tank is full..

I have sponge filter going in a separate tank which ill introduce to this tank once its full

and fry have been eating well, I'm feeding them BBS twice a day. My only issue so far is the tank being dirty, I scooped out some of the scum and its a bit clearer, but the bottom of the tank is pretty dirty.

So far I have lost 3 fry from what I've been able to count
Old 02-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #18 
lvandert

I would invest in a snail of two along with some live plants. and may I say congrats! You may not have expected it but it happened. My sister has had her male and female together for a week now and they dont even take interest in each other so I can see where you were coming from at least trying it. But guess what they not only liked each other but both were fertile :D If you have any questions feel free to PM me. I'm setting up to breed and have done a TON of research, I'm no expert but I can at least try to help. oh and are there pictures? I want to see the little cuties
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #19 
Myates

So my question is.. you have them in a 10 gallon.. what do you have for a grow out tank? I would set up a 30+ gallon real soon to get it cycled and ready for them.. don't forget the 100+ jars you will need to separate each one once they start becoming aggressive. Also heating each one appropriately.

You did it on a whim, but you still have a minimum of a few hundred dollars of equipment needed. Sadly, this spawn may not make it as the bettas were not conditioned prior to being bred, if they were just brought home it means they haven't been eating as it is.. the fry most likely will need to be culled down significantly sadly.

Start looking for places to sell these guys, as their genes aren't going to be too strong, and VTs are hard to sell.. May be able to sell them for $2 on aquabid, but you won't get the cost you are going to need to spend on additional tanks, jars, food, heat for all (which includes a big jump in electricity bill), packaging, etc.

This may be a costly learning experience for you, and sadly, for the babies.

You also stated you wanted to put a female/male together rather then a male/male.. you do realize you can't have them together, right? Not even a male/female, and not because of mating.. because one will pretty much kill the other- luckily it didn't happen, as it is common in fish that weren't acclimated properly together to fight rather then mate.. females want nothing to do with a male outside of the actual spawn process.. females want nothing to do with other females, and males want nothing to do with either of the sexes period (excluding certain circumstances that I'm not going to get into in here).

Good luck to you.. sorry.. just frustrates me when people don't.. research, think.. learn.

Last edited by Myates; 02-27-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:31 AM   #20 
jCo72

I can see why people are upset about this but it doesn't really matter now. The fish have mated and now you're trying to get the information you need to try to give the fry a fighting chance. Personally, I think it'd be more productive if there were more people trying to help you than criticizing you. Just my two cents...

I wish I could help you, but I don't know much about breeding - other than what I've read in the stickies. I hope your fry are healthy and can survive. Good luck!
jCo72 is offline   Reply With Quote