Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2012, 08:53 PM   #11 
iElBeau

Sounds like you're doing a good job so far! As you know many people are against feeding him a pea (because it provides no nourishment for the fish, but I explained that earlier... Also if you feed too much it can hurt him) but if you feed him that tiny portion about a week after he recovers it may help him strengthen his digestive system enough to prevent this happening again. You should always fast him one day a week once he's back to normal too btw, just because that allows him to empty himself, sort of like a human detox. (peas are like a more extreme strengthening detox if you wish to think of it in human terms, therefore should be done less often) I hope that makes sense! :) glad to hear he's doing a bit better though! :)
iElBeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:28 PM   #12 
Karebear13

Thank you Beau I will do that. I used to give peas to my old betta it def. did help him! I will be sure to try it. And thanks for the fasting advice I will do that too :)
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:45 PM   #13 
iElBeau

Sounds good, best of luck!

(Also, don't feed peas too often! I'd suggest max. once a month...? I don't know, I haven't had to feed mine any, the fasting and food variation appears to be enough for him.. but I always pick the food with a high fibre content... haha)
iElBeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:29 PM   #14 
Silverfang

For him I'd say a week, but 10 days won't hurt. In fact bettas can be kept on epsom salt long term, for some with chronic swim bladder I've heard of them being kept on it for months.

I would definitely start him on the omega one pellets. I feed them to my boys and girls, and it can do wonders for "Fattening" them up. Only thing I've seen work better is frozen blood worms.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:39 AM   #15 
Karebear13

Im getting worried about fasting him though... I fed him Monday morning just one pellet. So he hasnt eaten since but since it looks like that petstore kept him malnourished then Im afraid to fast him.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:04 AM   #16 
Karebear13

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Go ahead and not feed him a couple days along with the epsoms, but he does look so emaciated.. I think he looks more emaciated than bloated. When they get that thin their stomach looks more pronounced.

Is he still having problems swimming?

What did his poop look like? Hopefully just malnourished but maybe internal parasites with being that thin.
You mentioned it is possible he might have internal Parasite? How would I diagnose that, and what is a good treatment. I just want to know in case thanks!
Old 02-22-2012, 02:34 AM   #17 
Karebear13

Im starting to think he does have internal parasites. After the water change he was swimming around all crazily and running into the plants and "biting" them.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:01 AM   #18 
Silverfang

Generally white poo will signify internal parasites.
Was he trying to rub against the plants? If so it could be external parasites.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:44 AM   #19 
Karebear13

Okay poop is normal so Im hoping its not a parasite. I will keep my eyes out for external parasites.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #20 
ANHEL123

Poor thing i hope he doesn't have parasites..i am wondering why he was darting. I read it can be also from forgotten dechloringater,not enough used, dechlorinator, extreme temp changes. When you change the water make sure the temperature the same +-2-4*.
Also the sign of the internal parasites would be White, stringy or white and black poop and losing weight despite eating..

Just in case it is parasites i read on this forum that you can treat it with 1 tsp/gall Epsom Salt, combine with either JUNGLE'S Anti-Parasite pellets, Jungle's Parasite Clear fizz tabs or API General Cure. Both of those combined will treat the parasite and the bloating that comes with it.

I never had fish with internal parasites though. All that i wrote it was recommendation from someone on this forum.
Keep us update.

Good luck i hope he don't have it :(
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote