Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2012, 07:31 PM   #1 
Turquioce

Bettas easting algie pellets???

Ok, so i got a plecko fish to put in my betta tank(with 3 female bettas) and They eat algie. Within 2 weeks the little plecko ate all of the algie in my tank and it had nothing else to eat sence it didn't like the betta food. I bought some pellets made of dried algie to feed it and as soon as i put a pellet in the water my bettas swarmed it and tore it appart and devoured the thing. My bettas usually eat freeze dryed bloodworms any meelie worms. I never thought they would eat algie pellets like that. and the poor plecko dosn't have any food because the bettas eat it all. Ive tryed hiding the pellets around the tank but they found them anyway. after they ripped appart 5 pellets The watter was cloudy with dry algie. Is there any food that the pleko would eat that the bettas wouldnt? Im also worried about wether the algie pellets will make the bettas sick or not.
Turquioce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:03 AM   #2 
Bombalurina

They won't make them sick, but they aren't designed for bettas to eat. Try feeding the pleco after you have turned the lights out. He will know where the algae is, but the girls will have a harder time finding it. :)

Just a couple of things - make sure your pleco is a bristlenose or other small species, not a common pleco, unless you have at least a 75 gallon tank. Also, you may want to consider adding a couple more girls to that group, because 3 girl sororities are pretty unstable things.
How big is your tank?
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #3 
Turquioce

I have a 10 gallon tank. and im not sure what kind of pleko i have or how to tell. I t is about a half inch bigger then my largest betta and has black and brown stripes if that helps. I have thought about getting more females but the ones i have have bin living together for about 8 months now and i was afrade of the new ones getting bullied by the ones i already have. I Know I should keep them in odd numbered groups, so If I were to add more it would I would have to add 2 or 4 more to keep the group odd numbered. And i currently dont have extra tanks to separate them if need be.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #4 
Turquioce

And thank you! I will try hiding them after I turn the lights out :)
Old 02-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

I don't know where this thing of odd-numbers comes from - a lot of people seem to say it and it simpy isn't true. Fish can't count, so odd or even doesn't matter. I have no idea how this myth got around, but hey ho. :p I have 6 in my sorority and my girls actually love each other. :p
I think you are right, though - if your sorority has been going well with just three, well, you know your fish and how they behave. However, I would maybe invest in a couple of 2-5 gallon storage tubs just in case you need to seperate them as they get older (if one gets sick, the other two may turn on her, for instance).

If I were you, I would sell or rehome the pleco. Those guys have huge bioloads and even the smallest breeds aren't suitable for a ten gal. Bristlenoses (the smallest ones) get 6 inches long and poop like goldfish. Common plecos (the biggest type, frequently sold by uninformed petshop workers are a smaller species) get 2 feet long and poop far worse. Small ones like bristlenoses do better in 20 gallons and for commons you need at least a 75 gallon.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #6 
Turquioce

I actually Have no idea what type of pleco it is. Ive done some research and tried to figure out what breed it is and i cant figure it out. Ive seen that many bristle nose plecos have spots, and the other plecos dont really resemble the one i have. It has 2 wavy black stripes on either side, its fins and back are brown and the rest of it is a metallic silver color. Maybe because its so yong its hard to tell. Well anyway i intend to keep him for as long as i can adequately house him. Hopefully ill be able to afford the large 50 gal I've been wanting before he outgrows the tank hes in now. I dont know how fast they grow, but hes still only slightly bigger then the betas. And thank you for clearing up the odd numbered thing. I do have some fishbowls that I put them in if things get out of hand, but fish bowls arn't suited for long term housing. I hope I can keep the Pleco.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:58 PM   #7 
Shirleythebetta

Just to add to the odd numbers thing. I have six to in my ten gallon and they are perfect. Just thought I'd back that up. A warning on that pleco to add to what Bombalurina says, I have a bit of off hand experience with plecos latly through my dad. They are monsters and are not suited for 10 gallons. his is in a 55 and is still a bully. They get big fast and they knock everything over and are very clumsy. They push what they need out of their way and a few of his bettas turned up missing lately and they havent jumped out. we checked that. No other fish in there could have ate everything including the bones so you should try for a new tank or get rid of him.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:26 PM   #8 
Turquioce

thanks for the advice, and yes Ive seen how clumsy my pleco is. I do want to try to add more female betas. Tho im afrade that the old ones will bully the new ones. this is my first time trying a sorority tank, and im not sure how to go about adding new bettas to an already established one.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:37 PM   #9 
Bombalurina

Like I said, if your sorority is stable at the moment, I wouldn't do it until you can get a larger tank, 20 gallons plus, mostly because of the bioload of the pleco. If you want to extend how long you can keep him in the tank, get a second filter and do double your current water changes. :)

Is it definitely a pleco, not an oto or a cory? I was once sold two Chinese algae eaters by someone calling them otos.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:51 PM   #10 
Turquioce

Im not that experiecnced with them. It was sold to be by some idiot petsore employee who nearly killed the poor thing getting it out of the tank. It has a long body, suction cup mouth, it sucks on the glass of my aquarium and stays on the bottom mostly. It has 2 fins it stands on like legs in the front and a set of smaller ones on the tail. It has claimed a small blue cave near the heater in the tank. The same store did have a bristlenose pleco about a foot long in another tank. Ive had it for about 3 weeks now and it seems to get along with my bettas so long as they stay away from its little cove. Come to think of it it might even be a type of catfish because it was in a tank with other types of catfish. Im not sure.

Last edited by Turquioce; 02-20-2012 at 11:54 PM.