Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2012, 10:15 PM   #1 
abeepak1

Shall I or Shall I not?

Today, upon a stroll in the Betta market in Thailand, I stumbled upon a group of odd colored fish.....On second look, it turned out to be bettas, which kinda confused me, because I have not seen bettas of gold coloration? I have seen bright or pale yellows, but it doesnt come close to this color? It visibly has a level of shininess to it. Perhaps this is a freak of nature and I should steer clear incase any genetic abnormalities it may have?

Heres the pics.

Inputs guys and gals? Thanks.
abeepak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:05 AM   #2 
Bombalurina

I have a pearly white betta whose tail looks like that. His body is also really luminescent, like that. I've never had any health issues with him.
I'd buy them. Veeeerrry pretty. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:30 AM   #3 
indjo
TFK Moderator

That is a gorgeous gold. Not perfect (from wise) but doesn't show any genetic deformities you should be worried about.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:42 AM   #4 
Aus

Quote:
Today, upon a stroll in the Betta market in Thailand
... I'm so jealous.

Any chance of some pictures of the betta market itself? I'd love to see it.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:10 AM   #5 
abeepak1

The next time I go there I'll try to get some pics, though it wont be easy . This is why; the market itself is a generic fish market, ranging from sharks to poisonous fish :S (even the protected species) though often times there are multiple shops carrying multitudes of bettas. From prized bettas with prices of up to 200 dollars,anything beyond that they won't present as to prevent theft, to your normal everyday bettas. Heck I even found and bought some hybrid of wild/bred bettas.

Though typically, the shops will be spread out over the market itself, with each shop carrying an average of 50-100 bettas. Some shops show less, though have more stocked behind the back. There is also typically an average of 30-40 shops open on weekends. I merely call it betta market due to the fact that I only hunt for bettas, female especially.

On another note, there is also a number of actual betta farms, carrying a minimum of 1000 bettas, somehow bred in multiple simulated natural environments. I know this sounds odd but I also have yet to understand how this is done. Also upon research, I have found out that there's a particular betta farm that breeds only pure gold bettas(odd indeed).

Anyhow, I'll try to get pics next time of either the farm or the shops, though I don't really know the proper forum to post them in. And thanks for the inputs guys.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:26 AM   #6 
Aus

Thank you! I think the betta picture forum might be okay for market pictures? My research on mass breeding showed large ponds, like lagoons, in which bettas were bred in huge numbers. I'd love to see one of those for myself, too, but sadly travel is impossible for me these days.

Do you live in Thailand? It's one of the places I've always wanted to see, but moreso now I have discovered the joys of bettas.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:05 AM   #7 
abeepak1

Yes I do live in Thailand and can speak fluent Thai, so that's not a problem :D (well I'm half Thai half Japanese :P). As you can see, English also isnt my obstacle, so I can also keep everyone updated on the Thai betta news if everyone is pleased with it :D.

Please let me know!
Old 02-20-2012, 07:56 AM   #8 
Aus

That would be awesome!
Old 02-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #9 
fishman12

That's really nice coloring...

*jealous*
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #10 
RedneckBettaGuru

WOW, i don't see anything wrong with him at all.
RedneckBettaGuru is offline   Reply With Quote