Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2012, 02:40 PM   #11 
betta lover1507

i think i remember where i got it from XD
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #12 
bettalover2033

@indjo: That sound more convincing, but I personally have never heard of this nor have ever had experience yet. I guess it could be that I don't pay attention to it much as well focusing on the male vs female ratio to test another theory.

I will keep an eye on this though because it is very interesting.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:52 PM   #13 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Females with pointy edged caudals will produce pointy edged fry. But a rounded edged female will mostly produce rounded caudals regardless of the male's form. I took a perfect formed female and spawned to a super delta male and still produced 40% HM. Good formed female + good formed male = over 60% HM (I have never produce 100% HM with pointed edges). THIS ONLY APPLIES TO CAUDAL FORM - I haven't payed much attention to dorsal and anal form.

Recent breeding suggests the same principle for dorsal and anal fins. No fry had leaning forward dorsal/anal if female wasn't that form. But about 30-50% had good form when using such females although the male's was only standing upright.
One spawn - A rounded caudal and poor formed (general) female + perfect formed male = 100 % poor fry. And this spawn (pair - I spawned them 3 times and got the same result) produced 60 - 80% 2 rays, though mom was 4 rayed????

Lately I can't get them healthy enough to see fin development - They need to be exercised to get maximum spread. So it's hard to conclude general fin form results.

I think Karen (forgot) shares the same belief - there was a thread about form and someone questioned her thoughts which I validated..... don't really remember.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote