Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2012, 09:48 PM   #1 
labloverl

The best light schedule??

I know that the tank light doesn't need to be on for more than 12 hours and less than 8 hours, so I turn it on in the morning, and off in the evening so that it is on for about 10 hours. I have a problem with this because I only get to enjoy the tank and new betta for a few short hours before the light has to go out, and all I see is a dark tank. Is there anything I can do?
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:01 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

It seems like you don't get as much time to enjoy it in the morning, so don't turn your tank light on in the morning. I use light timers to automatically switch the light at noon as I'm a night-owl and spend more time around my fish in the evening. Another benefit of light timers is never having to remember to turn the lights on and off. This way if you are pulled away from your tanks by an accident or some other problem, you won't have to worry about an algae outbreak.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #3 
labloverl

Oooh, I like that. I could turn them on at noon and then turn them off when I go to bed. I guess I figured that what ever light came through the window would some how affect the day/night cycle of the fish.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:18 PM   #4 
thekoimaiden

Eh. Kinda. But not in a bad way. The level of light when either the room lights are on or light is coming through the window is equivalent to the light fish experience around dawn and dusk. Having the tank light on is like midday sun. Fish don't like being in midday sun for longer than 12 hours, but they don't mind extended periods of "twilight." Just be sure that you don't cut the light out on his tank and plunge him into total darkness as it will spook him. Leave the light on in the room for about an hour before it's lights out for everyone, and he'll be able to adjust to the darkness just fine.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:05 AM   #5 
labloverl

I'm so glad you cleared that up for me! Now I can start enjoying my fish more!

Would it matter if one day they're turned on at noon, and then the next day they're turned on 2 or 3 hours later? Just curious, but I'll probably get a timer anyways. :)

Last edited by labloverl; 02-25-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:35 AM   #6 
thekoimaiden

Oh no. A 2 hour difference like that wouldn't matter at all especially around that time of day. A 2 hour difference around sunrise or sunset probably would make a bit of a difference.