Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #11 
LittleBeta

Thanks for the advice, I'll look at the prices at both places and see.

Another question; my moms saying we should get a Betta from Walmart. Would that be a good idea? I'm sort of reluctant ^^; I'm worried about the quality of the fish and if they will be healthy or not...
LittleBeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:01 PM   #12 
lexylex0526

I've always preferred petsmart. Not only is it very close to me but it treats their bettas really well. I also really like how petsmart has the petsperk system it has great discounts:) haha They also get some really nice shipments of beautifully colored bettas of all different types.
lexylex0526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:06 PM   #13 
LittleBeta

Thanks! I'll see if my mom can take me there tonight and I'll talk to someone there about when they get there shipments and such!
LittleBeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:15 PM   #14 
scootshoot

By Chi-town burbs it's Petco all the way. Their displays are nicer, Betta's healthier and with far more variety. There is a certain Petco by me who has all types of betta's on multiple shelves all spread out so it's easier to view. They also have them in clear water so it's more easier to view.

The Petsmart store is limited in stock. The few betta's they do get are all in the greenish/blue medicine water so it's difficult to tell their true coloration. Even with this additive added, hardly any look healthy or alert.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:28 PM   #15 
freemike

I personally would go to both and look at both on the day of purchase. Unless one of them is just always superior to the other. I know in my area both are hit and miss. One day you walk in they have great looking fish the next time your in not so much. If I was going to purchase another I would go to both the day of the buy and decide only after looking at both places. I was in Petco today unfortunately buying hospital tanks and they said they could hold a fish for a few hours for me if I was interested. Just my .02. My guys are lucky I didn't know what I know now. I would have never bought my guys from Wal-Mart. The Wal-Mart here keeps theirs in abysmal conditions. Usually 2-3 dead and a few more not to far behind. Just my .02.
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #16 
pasoindy

It depends on who they hire to keep the fish. My PetCo is good. The Bettas are well cared for, and their fish tanks are not overstocked. I haven't seen any dead or diseased fish in their tanks yet. They will still try to sell Lucky Bamboo and Dracaena as aquatic plants but oh well...

My PetsMart, OTOH, is Betta hell. Last i was in there, most of the Bettas were half dead in cups so filthy I could barely see them. Even their plants were filthy. I complain, but I just get form letters. I have a personal boycott now.
pasoindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:57 PM   #17 
BettaFishLuver

I don't have a Petco near me but Petsmart has way better options than our Petdepot...
BettaFishLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #18 
daniomania

I say Petsmart definatly. the bettas look sad at first and quite unhealthy but ive bought 3 and they turned out fine!! petsmart all the way!!! :)
daniomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:04 PM   #19 
scrap

Similar experiences here. petco has better variety and health, petsmart is significantly cheaper. The petsmart bettas sometimes get very interesting colors though. And I've seen very pretty bettas at my walmart but needless to say it's only a good idea with new shipments.
scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:43 PM   #20 
Bonbonisbff

I agree with all of the above replies. but, in my area, I prefer Petsmart. Their bettas are in great condition, and so are all of their other fishes/animals. Good luck with future bettas!
Bonbonisbff is offline   Reply With Quote