Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #11 
djembekah

is it a science fair where you have to do an experiment? that's the hard thing about live animals, its really hard to do something ethical with them. but if you just have to research, then woo! easy as pie.
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:06 PM   #12 
AngesRadieux

Not sure how much you want to spend/how much room you have, but maybe set up a sorority and explain the dynamics and how it works, such as more than 4 females allowing for a diffusion of aggression, how pecking orders are established, et cetera. And then you can make a slide show with pictures and videos of the sorority. Plus, you can put some information about how they're in a heated tank and generally what tank sizes are recommended.
AngesRadieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #13 
Zappity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBosley View Post
If you have a laptop, see if you can find some really awesome videos! If not, PICTURES! Haha
No laptop...so.. PICTURES GALORE! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
Well I would say to go around your neighborhood or to your local pet store and hand out a survey asking common questions and have poeple that usually go there, answer them and bring them back. At the end of the week try to get them all and see which are the most commonly wrong questions.

Simple questions like, can a betta be housed with another betta/s

Or how many gallons do you think a betta needs?

Things like that will really help you!
That's a GREAT idea!! I'll see if I can do that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djembekah View Post
is it a science fair where you have to do an experiment? that's the hard thing about live animals, its really hard to do something ethical with them. but if you just have to research, then woo! easy as pie.
Nope, just research and then slap somethings onto a piece of cardboard, haha. xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngesRadieux View Post
Not sure how much you want to spend/how much room you have, but maybe set up a sorority and explain the dynamics and how it works, such as more than 4 females allowing for a diffusion of aggression, how pecking orders are established, et cetera. And then you can make a slide show with pictures and videos of the sorority. Plus, you can put some information about how they're in a heated tank and generally what tank sizes are recommended.
I'd love to do that, but my Mom would never agree :P But great idea :) I'm ( depending on how much space I have on the board ) going to put tank sizes and their recommended water change schedule, what you need to own a betta, common myths, ect.

Thank you, everyone for your ideas!! Keep 'em comin! :)

Last edited by Zappity; 02-21-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:30 PM   #14 
bettalover2033

Also common myths for example how many people think bettas can be shipped in a wet papertowel.

Belive it or not i really had somone tell me they were shipped in damp papertowels all the time and lived. I couldnt belive it myself!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #15 
Zappity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
Also common myths for example how many people think bettas can be shipped in a wet papertowel.

Belive it or not i really had somone tell me they were shipped in damp papertowels all the time and lived. I couldnt belive it myself!

*chokes* OMG seriously?!?! That's horrible!! :( I hope that's not true!!
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:03 AM   #16 
Bombalurina

I like the idea of explaining about different genetics - exploring dominant traits and colours and how breeders work for perfect colour and conformation. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:12 AM   #17 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappity View Post
*chokes* OMG seriously?!?! That's horrible!! :( I hope that's not true!!
As do I hope it isn't true.

I believe that if the owner goes through so much to ship them they wouldn't put them like this.

Then again they are people.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:56 AM   #18 
Wolfboy51

U could show various dieses and the atrotious conditions at pet shops compared to your setup
Wolfboy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:12 AM   #19 
bettalover2033

@Wolfboy51: That is also a very good idea since people are always so panic-y when hey have a pet that is sick. Or just don't see any difference.

Visuals help a ton. Youd be surprised how well they help.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #20 
Wolfboy51

I know itd help me ive never had to deal with a sick fish.
Wolfboy51 is offline   Reply With Quote