Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #1 
Karebear13

Who approves?!?! NEW PLANTS

So I bought some live plants this weekend. I got some anacharis. Is this a good setup for them. There is no way my fish can suffocate in them or anything right. Any tips on keeping them would be great too. So far they are doing good
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #2 
mathkid

Live plants are great for keeping the water quality up!

DO rinse your plants and quarantine them before putting them in your tank! Plants often carry bacteria/parasites in the worst case and snails in the best.

Keep an eye on your water parameters, and take a look at the plant guide sticky here:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=76428
mathkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #3 
Karebear13

I got them on Saturday. I changed their water and put in Prime. I have been doing this since today. I added them to the tank already and Im about to add in my new betta. Is that okay or should I rinse them again?
Old 02-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #4 
mathkid

I personally have had a bad experience with a fish getting ich after adding a pet store plant, so I will always do the full 2+ week quarantine.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #5 
Karebear13

awww bummer. So should I just do another water change in my tank and remove the plants?
Old 02-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #6 
mathkid

I would float the plants in a separate container for a few weeks, yeah, and change the water in your main tank. But you could wait and see if others have ideas on how you can shorten the wait time. I know how you feel! Waiting is no fun :)
Old 02-21-2012, 04:30 PM   #7 
Karebear13

Haha yeah I was all excited with my plants but I guess me and him have to wait to enjoy them. My rufio died of Ich and I dont want to go through that again. SO i would rather not risk it. Thanks for the advice
Old 02-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #8 
ANHEL123

Sorry don't want to scare you but i am very paranoid with plants from the stores. That is why i am using spider plant that my mom and my friend have. One time i saw that pet store sold the plants from the same tank the fish is in. Right after that i begin to use spider plant. So i would really do what mathkid recommended. I hope it good preventative .....So sorry that you have to do it but better save then sorry.

I love his tank and i love the plant. My issue I don’t know if it enough for betta to swim freely. May be you can move them on one side a little bit. I don’t know it just me I always paranoid about something LOL.

Good luck with new betta keep us update :)
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:41 AM   #9 
Karebear13

Yeah I didnt even think about diseases until Mathkid said something. Good thing he did! I love my new little guy and don't want him to suffer from the same thing Rufio did. Should I do anything to the plants like wash with chlorox or something else. how do I know when they are ready to be put in the tank.

I know its kind of a lot of plant for a small tank. Im gonna give some of the plants to my sister who just got a betta too :)
Old 02-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #10 
FishyFishy89

I've got an anacharis in my 5.5 gallon. Their great plants. Be aware they are faster growers xD
I've already had to trim and plant the trimmings in my 75 gallon. Well atleast I won't be needing to buy plants for the 75 gallon/by the time we get the full hood it should be all cycled/ready for new fish.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote