Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #11 
mathkid

I have heard that anacharis is sensitive to bleach dips - but YMMV (Google for [anacharis bleach dip]). Some people have done it and it's fine, others have had their plants melt. If you do it, I'd go on the safe side and do the dilute version (1:19 bleach to water) and only do it for 30-60 seconds.
mathkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:18 PM   #12 
ANHEL123

Oh no no no bleach on the plants. OMG sorry we get you paranoid with plants. I feel bad. It not even funny. I really don't have this problem because i am using my plants. I can try to mail plant to you if you want. It very popular plant. Everyone has it and it easy to grow. I am sure you can find it everywhere. When i get back my car i can try to mail it to you.

Last edited by ANHEL123; 02-22-2012 at 12:24 PM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #13 
Karebear13

Okay no clorox on the plants! No I just have them in water right now how can I make them "safe" for my tank though if not clorox?
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:08 PM   #14 
ANHEL123

So sorry i really don't know about that. I would really wait until someone’s response. Sorry.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:18 PM   #15 
mathkid

Well, certainly regular chlorinated water kills some stuff. That's why we have chlorine in our water in the first place... Not sure how sensitive plants are to it, but I think not very?

Other things, like ich, only survive if they have fish to attach onto. So if you keep them in quarantine (at aquarium temperatures so it goes through its life cycle) and rinse once in a while for a few weeks, they'll die off.

I've never tried using potassium permanganate (which is supposed to be less harsh on plants than bleach but tricky to work with). I did do a bleach dip on my next set of plants (anubias, water sprite, water wisteria, and pennywort), but it was super quick and dilute, and none of those plants are supposed to be bleach sensitive. Mostly I just quarantined them... and a couple of snails still got through.

To be fair, a lot of people have used store plants with just a quick rinse and been fine! ANHEL and I are just paranoid... Maybe someone else will chime in with an easy way to disinfect =)
Old 02-22-2012, 01:18 PM   #16 
Geomancer

Plants should be quarantined like any other addition to the aquarium, 1-3 weeks. For disease jack the temperature up to speed up their life cycle.

For snails ... just accept the fact that they likely come with plants. I personally don't have problems with them, they won't explode in population unless you over freed and provide the food to support a massive population.
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #17 
ANHEL123

So what is the best way to do? Take them out and quarantine them and completely change the water? So i guess tank should be washed with hot water and Karebear can put betta in the tank with new water without plants.

Then after you quarantine them you can put plants in. Betta will be fine without plant don't worry about it.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:46 PM   #18 
Geomancer

If the plants have already been added to the aquarium, it is too late to quarantine. Just keep a close eye on your fish for a week or two for signs of disease.

If they have not been added to the aquarium, just place them in a bucket of conditioned water with a heater, or a quarantine tank. Provide a daylight bulb, or window, so they don't die from a lack of light.
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:48 PM   #19 
mathkid

They were added to the intended aquarium, but the betta hasn't yet been introduced... is the tank "contaminated"?
Old 02-22-2012, 03:53 PM   #20 
Karebear13

Okay. I have never quarantined anything before because I have only had a betta in a tank with nothing else that live. How do I know if a plant is safe to put in, what do I look for in the plants? It doesn't look like there are any snails.

I added them in to the tank yesterday. Its a brand new tank setup. Betta was never in the tank when I added the plants. Then I removed them because I was adviced to quarintine them. I took them out put them in bucket and added conditioner and a light. I washed the tank completely conditioned it and then added my betta.
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote