Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #21 
Karebear13

Yeah Is it contaminated? Because I added him in yesterday. he was completely fine swimming around. Today he is moping around in the gravel. Idk if the plants have anything to do with his behavior?
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #22 
mathkid

Moving the plants to quarantine and changing the water in the tank sounds good to me. Not sure why your guy is sulking... might be mad about having to wait so long? I assume you used only water to clean the tank, so no chance of soap residue bothering him? Or maybe he's annoyed at the temperature changes that tend to go with water changes? Any other symptoms (not eating? clamped fins?) How long has he been down there? My guy sulks if I net him or take too many pictures of him... he gets over it after a little while.

I think the point of quarantine is to wait 1-3 weeks to give the yuckies time to die/be rinsed off, and to generally keep an eye on the plant in case anything disastrous happens. After a couple of weeks in quarantine, if the plant still appears healthy, then it should be safe to add it.

Re: snails - I never saw the snails on my plants either - only discovered them when my betta tried to eat 'em later. Maybe they hatched from eggs I missed during the rinse. =) I don't mind the snails so much... they're kind of cute.
mathkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #23 
kfish

I've added all of my plants right away and never had any problems... but all of them were either from tubes (with the disease-free guarantee thing) or plantedaquariumscentral.com, so probably better to trust.

I've heard of people giving plants aquarium salt baths to decontaminate them, as well. Have to be sort of careful with length and all that... might want to google it first to see what methods/proportions are used.

If your fish has an uncompromised immune system, he should be fine. But since he IS a new fish, there's no way for you to guarantee that. :( Good luck!
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:03 PM   #24 
Geomancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathkid View Post
They were added to the intended aquarium, but the betta hasn't yet been introduced... is the tank "contaminated"?
If the plants had anything on them, then yes it is. You can wait 1-3 weeks before putting the betta in. Parasites, like Ich, require a host to live. No host, they die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karebear13 View Post
Okay. I have never quarantined anything before because I have only had a betta in a tank with nothing else that live. How do I know if a plant is safe to put in, what do I look for in the plants? It doesn't look like there are any snails.

I added them in to the tank yesterday. Its a brand new tank setup. Betta was never in the tank when I added the plants. Then I removed them because I was adviced to quarintine them. I took them out put them in bucket and added conditioner and a light. I washed the tank completely conditioned it and then added my betta.
There is no way to tell if a plant has anything on it (bacteria, virus, parasite, snails). You just have to put it in a known clean environment and wait them out. Most will die without a host, and snails, well, there isn't a whole lot you can do about that. Some do a bleach bath then soak in clean water that is heavily conditioned to remove the chlorine (bleach). However, if it is strong enough to kill the snails, it is strong enough to kill the plants. Your choice on what path to follow.

The chance of getting your fish sick I would say is relatively low however. Fish have immune systems and can fight off disease and parasites if they are health and not stressed, the plants may not even be housed with fish to begin with. The 'safe' route is to quarantine ... but in most cases you'll be fine without.
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #25 
Karebear13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathkid View Post
Moving the plants to quarantine and changing the water in the tank sounds good to me. Not sure why your guy is sulking... might be mad about having to wait so long? I assume you used only water to clean the tank, so no chance of soap residue bothering him? Or maybe he's annoyed at the temperature changes that tend to go with water changes? Any other symptoms (not eating? clamped fins?) How long has he been down there? My guy sulks if I net him or take too many pictures of him... he gets over it after a little while.

I think the point of quarantine is to wait 1-3 weeks to give the yuckies time to die/be rinsed off, and to generally keep an eye on the plant in case anything disastrous happens. After a couple of weeks in quarantine, if the plant still appears healthy, then it should be safe to add it.

Re: snails - I never saw the snails on my plants either - only discovered them when my betta tried to eat 'em later. Maybe they hatched from eggs I missed during the rinse. =) I don't mind the snails so much... they're kind of cute.
Idk what is wrong with him. He was fine in the little cup yesterday he was anxious to get in the tank. I left him floating in the cup for about two hours just to be safe about temperature adjustment. He was swimming around admiring the thermometer and the bubbles the water change made and flaring, but then later he was just hiding in his cave and would only come out to breath and now he is just chilling in the gravel. His pelvic fins look a little clamped. He ate this morning.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #26 
Karebear13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomancer View Post
If the plants had anything on them, then yes it is. You can wait 1-3 weeks before putting the betta in. Parasites, like Ich, require a host to live. No host, they die.

There is no way to tell if a plant has anything on it (bacteria, virus, parasite, snails). You just have to put it in a known clean environment and wait them out. Most will die without a host, and snails, well, there isn't a whole lot you can do about that. Some do a bleach bath then soak in clean water that is heavily conditioned to remove the chlorine (bleach). However, if it is strong enough to kill the snails, it is strong enough to kill the plants. Your choice on what path to follow.

The chance of getting your fish sick I would say is relatively low however. Fish have immune systems and can fight off disease and parasites if they are health and not stressed, the plants may not even be housed with fish to begin with. The 'safe' route is to quarantine ... but in most cases you'll be fine without.
Okay So I will leave the plants in their own container for two weeks. with a light. I only have a heater for my tank not for the plants though. Should I change the plant water everyday? I left them in tap water for about 20 minutes to kill of anything with the chlorine in the water and then added some dechlore
Old 02-22-2012, 05:27 PM   #27 
mathkid

If he keeps looking sickly, start a post in the Diseases/Emergencies section and fill out the sticky with your water parameters, etc.

I don't think you need to change the plant water every day. I'm honestly not sure what the correct protocol is... I suspect the most important factor is time and what you're doing is fine. =)
mathkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #28 
Karebear13

Okay great! Thank you everyone!!! Im will quarantine and see what happens in a few weeks!!!
Old 02-22-2012, 07:00 PM   #29 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karebear13 View Post
Idk what is wrong with him. He was fine in the little cup yesterday he was anxious to get in the tank. I left him floating in the cup for about two hours just to be safe about temperature adjustment. He was swimming around admiring the thermometer and the bubbles the water change made and flaring, but then later he was just hiding in his cave and would only come out to breath and now he is just chilling in the gravel. His pelvic fins look a little clamped. He ate this morning.
Do you have a filter? Could the flow be bothering him?
My CT, Spike, did that but when I baffled the run off he suddenly came out to swim around. He's super happy now.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:06 PM   #30 
ANHEL123

is he still sick and hiding (lethargic) ? If it happened right after you put him in the water it can be water problem. Because if it bacteria from the plant he would not show sigh of disease right away. Did you add enough water conditioner? Which one do you use. I would add extra stress coat if you have it or just add more water conditioner. Not sure when you bought him but i am wondering did you use the same amount of the conditioner while you change his water in the small contender he was in?
I don't like the fact that he was active and ate in the morning and then all of a sudden get sick.
so sorry after your firs betta died you have to go through so much problems with second one :(

Last edited by ANHEL123; 02-22-2012 at 07:16 PM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote