Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2012, 05:53 PM   #11 
bellajunkie

If I did this right here is a picture of Captain.....
Attached Images

bellajunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:00 PM   #12 
callistra

It'll be several degrees colder in the bowl than the room so he is too cold.

Columnaris is an opportunistic infection happens which fish are stressed or their immune systems are compromised.. so up the water changes to daily 100% and you need to figure out how much water your bowl holds to know how much medication to add to the water. If you can show a picture of the full bowl we might be able to help you size it, but I really stress you need to find something 2.5g minimum for him and a good adjustable heater. Marineland Visitherm or Hydor Theo will run you $20 and prolong your fish's life by years along with the proper water cleaning. 25w for 2.5g and 50w for around 5g. You'll also need a good in tank thermometer. Acclimate very slowly setting the heater several degrees below what the temp the bowl is sitting at without a heater then click up slowly one degree until it comes on. I wouldn't warm him above 76 right now while he has columnaris as this is actually one of the conditions which is easier to treat in colder water and warmer water speeds up the disease process.

Go look for Kanaplex and if it cannot be found get Furan-2 by API. You will need to dilute these depending on the size of your setup.

Last edited by callistra; 02-21-2012 at 06:04 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #13 
bellajunkie

Is there anything I can do for him right now, because he is starting to try to make it to the top and cannot :( He is really struggling to hold on I think!!!
Old 02-21-2012, 06:12 PM   #14 
callistra

He can't swim to the top? Reduce the water level so he can reach the top, but if he's this bad off I don't know he's going to make it.. You need to get meds fast and make sure the water is clean.. Without even a thermometer you can't know if you're keeping his water temp constant when you change, which you need to and if you're only changing 1/3 of the water every few days then his ammonia may be high too so I'd do a good water change along with the reduction.

How soon can you get the pet store for some meds and supplies?

Last edited by callistra; 02-21-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:14 PM   #15 
bellajunkie

Ok done..should I change his water now or wait until I get the medicine for him tonight?
Old 02-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #16 
bellajunkie

Ok so I got him out of the bowl and now he is just laying on his side and his eyes are glossy!!! What do I clean his bowl with, since I was told you cannot use soap?
Old 02-21-2012, 06:18 PM   #17 
bellajunkie

He seems to be floating mid water and when I touch him he moves, is barely alive.....I fear the worst here :(
Old 02-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #18 
callistra

I wouldn't do a 100% change right now while he is this sensitive. At most, just do several small changes over the course of the next few hours.. ones that wouldn't require you to remove him.. You can use a turkey baster to do this. Make sure the baster is rinsed extremely well with no residue on it and then dried thoroughly... It's important to get ammonia down if it's built up but ideally I would test the water before starting to change it. Can you get to the pet store and get a drops testing kit for ammonia? How long has he been in that bowl?

Also want to back up.. what kind of dechlorinator are you using? And I'm not sure how you know how much to use if you're not sure how much water he's in..
Old 02-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #19 
bellajunkie

none of that I used some spring water in a small bowl, seems I have made many mistakes in not researching this more carefully :(
Old 02-21-2012, 06:24 PM   #20 
callistra

What was the source of your spring water? The petco spring water stuff for bettas? This should be ok.

Don't be too hard on yourself. People at pet stores tend to not share accurate advice on keeping bettas.