Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #1 
watergale

Smile new 29g tank!

my dad runs a furniture business and came across a 29g tank today that he said i could have, it is this model, http://www.petco.com/product/106669/...FSUbQgod_QOEPg and it looks pretty awesome, does anyone have any suggestions on how to stock it? i was thinking a sorority?
watergale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:13 PM   #2 
KittKatt145

Quote:
Originally Posted by watergale View Post
my dad runs a furniture business and came across a 29g tank today that he said i could have, it is this model, http://www.petco.com/product/106669/...FSUbQgod_QOEPg and it looks pretty awesome, does anyone have any suggestions on how to stock it? i was thinking a sorority?
Nice tank! good size:) I would do a sorrority.
KittKatt145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #3 
Fieldz

Isnt that for saltwaters? If its for saltwater, go for saltwater! If its not, go for a nice sorority :D
Fieldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:04 PM   #4 
watergale

it can be salt or fresh water, but maybe i will do a saltwater, are those harder to upkeep?
Old 02-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

Not harder to upkeep, but they do require a lot of saltwater-specific knowledge and are far more expensive to set up, what with live rock, sumps, protein skimmers etc. Don't do it unless you have tons of money and are prepared to put in a bucket load of research AND not have many fish. Cheaper to learn to scuba dive and see them in the wild.

I would definitely do a sorority. :D Or have a dwarf gourami.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:05 AM   #6 
watergale

hahaha i think i'll just do a sorority then, i'm not the richest person.... ps i already know how to skuba dive, just ive only ever done it in a reeeely deep pool :D
Old 02-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #7 
LittleBeta

I would suggest keeping a few female Bettas and maybe a few guppies or neon tetras for variety ^^ I have one male Betta, 7 neons, 2 guppies, two shrimp, and a car fish in my 55 gallon tank right now XD that's why I'm suggesting neons or guppies.
LittleBeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:40 PM   #8 
watergale

cool thanks
Old 02-21-2012, 09:46 PM   #9 
Bombalurina

Get out to some reefs! It is the best thing ever.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:05 PM   #10 
pasoindy

That is a reef tank with 2 compact fluorescents so you are going to have a lot of light. It will be fine for freshwater and great for a planted tank. You may even find that you have too much light.
Looking around some more, it appears to come with one actinic light. Ditch it and replace with another 10K 36 watt fluorescent. Most plants won't respond to actinic but algae loves it.

I missed your question about saltwater. It is way more difficult. With these little nano cube systems, some of the work has been taken out of it, but it is a full time hobby. Saltwater is also very expensive. Seriously, just set a pile of money on fire.
I don't want to talk you out of it because it is very rewarding, but you know, "eyes open" and such.
To give you an idea, I had a large reef tank that cost me upwards of around $4000 - that's not counting all the chemicals I had to buy to maintain my coral - sump, protein skimmer, live rock, water pump, metal halide lights that were too hot so we also had a chiller, etc... And on and on and on.

My husband and I went away for a long weekend, and my brother-in-law was charged with feeding my fish one day. He came by on Sunday and fed the fish. He also nuked a burrito in the microwave and somehow blew a fuse. He checked every fuse in the fuse box except the one the tank was on. When we came home, the tank water looked lke milk, and everything was dead. Saltwater holds less oxygen than fresh, and so must always be in motion to aerate the water. No power = no water pump = suffocated fish. When the fish died, they released toxins into the water that killed off the coral. It was a total disaster. It makes me angry just writing about it. My poor critters. :(

Tldr version: it is a very rewarding hobby that can be full of heartbreak.

Last edited by pasoindy; 02-21-2012 at 10:24 PM.
pasoindy is offline   Reply With Quote