Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2012, 09:54 PM   #1 
vermax

So I thought it was a female...

I got a fish from Petco today that was labeled as a female crowntail. It's got pretty short fins, but it's body is also relatively long. When I got it home and compared it to my two adult females, I realized that it's HUGE compared to them and has a different body shape as well. I also can't find an egg spot on it and it seems to have a decent amount of beard sticking out.

Since I bought the fish to add to my collection of females that will one day be a sorority, I'd like to figure out if it is really a male or a female. Of course, this isn't an immediate issue, as building the sorority is a while away. Still... It's nice to know the gender of our bettas, right? :D

Any thoughts on the gender?
Attached Images

vermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:55 PM   #2 
Jrf456

Regardless of gender, he/she's got a gorgeous natural look. Nice find! :)
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:02 PM   #3 
vermax

Haha thanks!

If it turns out to be a male, it would be a super awesome find, so I don't mind either way XD
Old 02-18-2012, 10:43 PM   #4 
djembekah

so lovely!
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:44 PM   #5 
scootshoot

I ran into similiar circumstance as one of the betta juve's labelled a female turned out to be a male. He has actually built a small bubble nest inside the sorority tank alongside his lack of egg spot, longer fins as he's grown has given away his true gender.

Was gonna pull him but he's actually been real good so leaving them be for now.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:32 PM   #6 
vermax

djembekah - Thanks a lot! I think he/she is very nice too. As we would hope XP

scootshoot - It's always fun to hear stories about other people finding males labeled as females! Even if it is in a sorority tank :/

Looking more at the new fish, he/she appears to have fin rot, which would explain the short fins. The ventrals are pretty long for a 'female' as well. Much longer than my girls (who are DEFINITELY girls XD)

I actually have been trying to sex my baby betta, who I've had for over a month now. First I thought it was male, then female. Then I got some opinions on this site , which confirmed female. But now, I've been reading that juvies with anal fins that are long in the back and slanting down will turn out to be males. My juvie has this, and an egg spot (which I know young males can have), but it's still perplexing!

And its name is Elvis, so I hope it's a boy!

For that reason, I'm not naming this one until its gender is confirmed.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:36 AM   #7 
a123andpoof

I don't know couldn't tell you but beautiful fish anyways! I got blinky from walmart labeled female..turned out to be a plakat male. Unfortunately they charge the same amount for a female as they do males..but after getting him I did get a new found love of plakats lol
Well hope you figure out the gender!
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #8 
Silverfang

I got a plakat that was in a tank labeled as female. It didn't take long to realize. I was having trouble seeing an egg spot, and then I Saw the HUGE flaring at his reflection in the filter. Quite the find I do say so. Right now he's living happily in enough plants to get stuck in.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:59 PM   #9 
vermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by a123andpoof View Post
I got blinky from walmart labeled female..turned out to be a plakat male.
I'm not very familiar with plakats. Does anyone think this girl/boy could be a plakat? It definitely has crowning on the the tail and dorsal fin. But can plakats be crowntails...?

The ventral fin is so rotted that all the little tips are gone :( I'm treating it now, so hopefully they'll grow back soon.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:17 PM   #10 
vermax

Anybody else wanna guess the guess the gender of my fin-rotted crowntail?