Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2012, 05:23 PM   #1 
tkvalentine

New to the crowntail.

So I recently got Chantz, a crowntail. While he seems pretty fine swimming around (not to mention a little quick to dart off and hide when presented with anything at his glass), I still feel a little uneasy for him.

Do CTs' fins normally droop more when not flared? I haven't even seen the boy flare yet, and I've tried. But perhaps he's just a little more care-free than others, which is fine! He seemed a little droopy at the pet store, too (as I would be, in that kind of circumstance!), which is why I felt inclined to take him home. There are also times where he seems to swim with a very slight tilt to the side, though it's only here and there. I think that may partially be due to the filter (though it's a very gentle flow).

I'd just feel better if he flared or built a bubble nest. But I guess a lot of it could have to do with adjusting to his new home, too. It's only been about 2 1/2 days, so... Maybe I'm just a worrywart?
tkvalentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:38 PM   #2 
a123andpoof

It will take time for him to adjust give him a few weeks. Would love to see some pics!
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:43 PM   #3 
tkvalentine

Chantz: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=93824
Tristanislav: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=93825
Vladimir: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=85353

:]
Old 02-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #4 
Myates

Lovely fish..

Give him time, each fish takes their own amount of time to adjust.. I've had some that were at home and eating within literally 30 seconds of being placed into a tank. Then I have some like the new guy I'm dealing with now.. who after 2 weeks still won't flare, clamped up as small as you can imagine and hardly swims around. Eats like a pig though.

It's a waiting game, all we can do is make sure they have plenty of plants/cave to hide in if they are feeling insecure.. which will help them build confidence.
Good luck!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #5 
daniomania

hetaer?
tank size?

they do normally droop when not swimming but you should upgrade to a 5 gallont nak(if not already), have it filtered and heated. my crowntailed loves it!! he flares only when he is not swimming and his fins droop most of the other time! if he darts away form the glass, hes just not comfortable and sson he'll warm up and come when he sees you!! filters, if gentle normally dont cause drooping, its just them. i have a powerful filter and he gladly swims by!
good luck!
hope he is better!! :)
daniomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:06 PM   #6 
iElBeau

Yeah, he could just be taking a couple days. Look into baffling the filter, and if he's still tilting, it could be SBD so just fast him for a day or two and see how that works. My CT is pretty droopy when he's not flared, so I know exactly what you mean... their fins don't really move up or anything when they swim sometimes, they just kinda sit there eh? haha. But as he gets used to the new home, he'll start to flare more. Do frequent water changes too, to keep him happy, and keep him company if you can. As he gets used to you as well, he'll perk up :)
If you really want him to flare though, you can take a mirror and put it in front of his tank for a minute or so... if he approaches it and sees himself, he should flare. If he doesn't flare, he may be sick. Do not allow him to attack the glass though! He could hurt himself if he repeatedly does that, so be there the whole time ok? If he rams it once, or looks like he's going to, take the mirror away right away! He probably can't hurt himself unless he rams it like 20 times... but just to be safe haha.
iElBeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #7 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniomania View Post
they do normally droop when not swimming but you should upgrade to a 5 gallont nak(if not already), have it filtered and heated.
A 5 gallon is not needed to keep a healthy, happy betta.... bettas don't need filters, and in smaller tanks a lot of people prefer not to use them.

His muscles may not be up to par yet.. have to keep in mind they are only kept in the grow out tank for so long.. they don't tend to develop their long fins until they are out of that tank.. and usually they are placed into jars at that time, then into the cups. So having weak muscles can be quite common in mass produced bettas.

What I do with mine when first getting a betta is giving them daily exercises with a mirror for approx 5 minutes, once or twice a day. Or, they are placed near another betta to flare at. It builds up their muscles.. I have yet to have a betta with droopy fins (other then the new one I'm working on) by doing such.. my older CT has his open constantly as if showing off.. even when he is sleeping. He thinks he's the most handsome I suppose :)
So I recommend that.. time and daily flaring sessions.. to help build up his strength.

Spyro-
Attached Images

Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:17 PM   #8 
tkvalentine

I think the flaring problem is over :] He spotted his new neighbor through the divider, and well...

Name:  IMAG0678.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  31.9 KB
Old 02-24-2012, 08:29 PM   #9 
daniomania

beautiful fish!! :) glad your flaring problem is over!! :) hope we all were help.
daniomania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #10 
CarmanDirda

He looks beautiful :)

And I wouldn't worry about the drooping. My crowntail male lets his dorsal drape over his side like a cape when he's not flared.
CarmanDirda is offline   Reply With Quote