Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #11 
Rhianon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBosley View Post
Yay! Welcome to the Betta addiction I would also maybe suggest putting the fish tank in a room where you can lock the cats out if they harass the fish Some cats are surprisingly good with fish!
It will go in the kitchen on the counter because the kittens know better than to be on the counters. Plus, my roomies and I are very good at keeping them off there.
Rhianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:31 PM   #12 
peachesxo

I have a crazy adult cat named Bentley who is OBSESSED with my bettas.
He jumps at the tanks and is always watching them and he is a BIG strong cat and I have never had any worries about him breaking the tank let alone putting a scratch on it.

This is the only tank I have (got two of them they are 10 gallon tanks) http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11164161 - it's a great kit and comes with a bio-wheel filter (which is very easy to baffle) and a good heater along with other stuff and my cat could not make it budge if his life depended on it (I can't even make it budge when it's full lol)

It has served me well, I've had both of them for over a year and they are still running and looking like new, not to mention the lights are LED so you never need to worry about replacing them! It keeps the kitty entertained while keeping the bettas safe :P (Don't worry he doesn't stress the bettas out either or anything, he mainly pays attention to Lenymo and Lenymo always swims up to his face and flares at him, it's adorable, I think they actually like eachother lol)

Last edited by peachesxo; 02-24-2012 at 03:35 PM.
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #13 
Rhianon

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachesxo View Post
I have a crazy adult cat named Bentley who is OBSESSED with my bettas.
He jumps at the tanks and is always watching them and he is a BIG strong cat and I have never had any worries about him breaking the tank let alone putting a scratch on it.

This is the only tank I have (got two of them they are 10 gallon tanks) http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11164161 - it's a great kit and comes with a bio-wheel filter (which is very easy to baffle) and a good heater along with other stuff and my cat could not make it budge if his life depended on it (I can't even make it budge when it's full lol)

It has served me well, I've had both of them for over a year and they are still running and looking like new, not to mention the lights are LED so you never need to worry about replacing them! It keeps the kitty entertained while keeping the bettas safe :P (Don't worry he doesn't stress the bettas out either or anything, he mainly pays attention to Lenymo and Lenymo always swims up to his face and flares at him, it's adorable, I think they actually like eachother lol)
Thanks I will definitely check that one out. And I can't wait to see what my kittens do when I finally have everything set up.

On another note, if I decided to go with a 5gal. would I still need to cycle or just do water changes?
Old 02-24-2012, 08:21 PM   #14 
CarmanDirda

Seems like you got a lot of tips here, but something I don't see is a suggestion for easily cleaned gravel. First time fish owners, or people with not too much time on their hands often don't realize how annoying it is to clean or switch out rocks.

I breed and raise bettas, among other fish people give me that they don't want anymore. I have 20+ fish and other aquatic creatures, and I will tell you when you have to do a full tank clean the gravel is the most frustrating thing - especially if it's small and natural, because it erodes and dirties the tank and will have to be thrown out before too dreadfully long.

I do have some natural rocks because I got them on sale pretty cheap, but I tend to stick with various glass rocks typically used for small betta tanks. If you can get a hold of a lot of them, they are very pretty in a big tank as well, and are a breeze to clean. They also come in many variations and colors, though round work best.
CarmanDirda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #15 
Rhianon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarmanDirda View Post
Seems like you got a lot of tips here, but something I don't see is a suggestion for easily cleaned gravel. First time fish owners, or people with not too much time on their hands often don't realize how annoying it is to clean or switch out rocks.

I breed and raise bettas, among other fish people give me that they don't want anymore. I have 20+ fish and other aquatic creatures, and I will tell you when you have to do a full tank clean the gravel is the most frustrating thing - especially if it's small and natural, because it erodes and dirties the tank and will have to be thrown out before too dreadfully long.

I do have some natural rocks because I got them on sale pretty cheap, but I tend to stick with various glass rocks typically used for small betta tanks. If you can get a hold of a lot of them, they are very pretty in a big tank as well, and are a breeze to clean. They also come in many variations and colors, though round work best.
Cool. I enjoy those rocks and I didn't enjoy cleaning the gravel when I owned goldfish as a child. My parents made me clean the tank as they were my responsibility.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #16 
CarmanDirda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhianon View Post
Cool. I enjoy those rocks and I didn't enjoy cleaning the gravel when I owned goldfish as a child. My parents made me clean the tank as they were my responsibility.
I've been there. :D They are a lot better choice in most situations, though - even though if you want natural, they don't really work. xD
Old 02-25-2012, 06:43 PM   #17 
Rhianon

Quote:
I've been there. :D They are a lot better choice in most situations, though - even though if you want natural, they don't really work. xD
True true. I will definitely check them out, even if they are for a bit more decoration than actual substrate.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:32 AM   #18 
CarmanDirda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhianon View Post
True true. I will definitely check them out, even if they are for a bit more decoration than actual substrate.
Yeah. Unless you have some bottom feeders, it doesn't really matter what it is. The fish don't walk on it, so they don't care.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:44 AM   #19 
Rhianon

Quote:
Yeah. Unless you have some bottom feeders, it doesn't really matter what it is. The fish don't walk on it, so they don't care.
LOL that is true. I'm almost ready to get the tank and decor soon. The Marimo Moss Ball. Is that a good purchase for a tank? Every time I go to Petsmart they have three or so sitting at the end of an aisle and I love the way they look.