Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2012, 06:29 PM   #1 
Zero186

Well Hey There Betta Fish!

Hey Everyone!

Im new to the forum I looked around and found this place and it seemed like the right place to settle down. For the most part im new to keeping bettas, but i have kept 4 different Reef tanks and experience in marine tanks. I just don't know much about keeping bettas tank out side of the normal gallon tank with no heater. so time to get down to what im running currently
-2.5g Minibow with Aqua culture 10watt Mini Fluorescent bulb.
-Hydor mini heater keeps the tank between 76-80

The tank had a Moss ball and my Black Half Moon Betta which both have been pretty happy with the set up. I dont test for anything just siphon the waste out of the gravel and that normally ends up with a 50% water change every week. I dont run any kind of filter in the tank so there isnt any water current( is that a issue?)

Is there anything anyone can recommend doing I would just like to keep the tank and the inhabitants healthy as possible.

Thank you for any comments!
Zero186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #2 
brownmane

Welcome to TFK. There are lots of helpful, knowledgeable people here.

Nice to hear that you have a heater for your betta tank. Bettas love to be warm. They don't particularly like strong currents, and since yours is in a smaller tank, your betta would not have room to avoid the current. Sounds like you've got fish keeping experience and you are keeping up with water changes. I am assuming that you are also using water conditioner when doing your water changes.

If you have a look around on the site, a good quick reference is the "tropical fish profiles" tab at the top of the page.
brownmane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #3 
Zero186

Thanks for the heads up on the current I didn't want to use the power head/filter combo that came with the tank but that filmy layer on top makes me want to get a sponge filter to at least disrupt the surface a little. Is that ok to do or will i just be storing bacteria for no reason? Yes im using TetraAqua Aquasafe (is that a good brand to use?) to treat my tab water. Thanks for the references ill read up a little, and i have to say i broke one of my fish keeping commandments and that wasn't doing all of my research before buying.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:17 PM   #4 
thekoimaiden

Welcome to freshwater and the forum! If you want to take a look, there is a saltwater section over at TFK (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/). It's the parent site of Bettafish.com. You're already registered there, too. Just log in if you want to post.

You could get a bubble filter for your tank, but it wouldn't do much good unless you were trying to cycle the tank. A 2.5 gal tank won't cycle easily (if at all), and it would probably be best to just do 2 water changes weekly. If you want to cycle a betta tank you should upgrade to a 5 gal or larger.

You really should have a test kit. It is just as important in freshwater as it is in saltwater. Another piece of equipment to have is a thermometer. The thermostats on heaters are notoriously unreliable, so have a thermometer is the best way to make sure your betta is at the proper temperature. Ideally the glass ones are best. Those stick-on ones are rather unreliable.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:46 PM   #5 
Zero186

What is a good brand of test kit that you can recommend? I do have a thermometer ( glass one with green suction cup) but the temp of the tank does change a little depending on my room temp( which unfortunately is unstable in my college dorm. If not a Sponge filter can an air stone be fine to take care water disruption at the surface?
Old 02-21-2012, 11:48 PM   #6 
freemike

Are you doing any 100% water changes? Without the tank being cycled not that you could easily or keep it cycled you really need to do at least a 100% water change bi-weekly if not weekly. You seem to be doing the partials about the norm for 2.5 gallon tank but I would suggest throwing some 100% changes in the schedule as well.

http://www.petco.com/product/103685/...t%20Kit-103685

This is one of the more highly recommended test kits on the site. It looks expensive but you can get 800 water tests out of that kit verses the 25 strip packs for like $12. Also a lot more accurate than the strips.

Last edited by freemike; 02-21-2012 at 11:51 PM.
freemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:52 PM   #7 
thekoimaiden

The API master kits seems to be the best. The test strips aren't worth their weight and are very unreliable. You really don't need to disturb the surface at all. If you really want the slime gone, just use a cup to skim it off.

Mike is right about the water changes. In a noncycled tank you are looking at at least 2 water changes weekly. One 100% and 50%.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:15 AM   #8 
Zero186

The tank has only been up in running for 2-3 weeks and I was doing 50%, but I will work in the 100%. Will keeping the treated water(tap water) in gallon jugs prior to the water changes be the best way?
Old 02-22-2012, 12:32 AM   #9 
thekoimaiden

That's how I did my changes in college. Got a gallon pitcher from WalMart and used that to cart water around. I looked strange going up and down the hallway like that, but it got the job done.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:50 AM   #10 
Bombalurina

You won't need to keep it in the jugs for long - just long enough to chuck in some dechlorinator and let it reach the same temperature as the tank water (better to run it slightly too hot from the tank and let it cool down before adding it).

Please, please PLEASE make a thread about your marine tanks!! :D
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote