Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2012, 09:37 PM   #1 
Lillybulb

Got into a car wreck with an (already injured) betta in the car :(

I went to my friend's house yesterday and saw one of her poor bettas in a dirty half gallon bowl and he looked horrible. She was keeping 2 males in a 2 gallon tank with a crappy divider and the other betta could fit his mouth through it and was able to shred his fins... by the time she realized what was going on most his top and back fins were gone :( so she just threw the injured one in a bowl and ignored him I asked her if I can take him since she didn't seem to care all that much. She let me have him.
On our way back we got in a car accident. The fish went flying out of the bowl, hit the dashboard, and then the floor. I was in panic mode and quickly scooped him up (most likely not all that gently...) and threw him back in the bowl that only had less than an inch of water left. Then for 40 minutes I was talking to the police in the freezing night with the bowl under my jacket holding him as close as I could to keep him warm. (police probably thought I was nuts haha) Finally got home and put him in a 1 gallon tank I was just using for pants. He's in bad shape D: his color is REALLY dull and his fins are horrible. He doesn't move or respond to anything but thanks to the pants he is able to stabilize himself near the surface... How should I go about helping the lil fellow???
Lillybulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:48 PM   #2 
StarBetta

Can you post a picture of his fins? We'll see if he lost any scales or have seriously broken fins. I hope he recovers! Poor fishy.
StarBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:52 PM   #3 
Silverfang

Keep him warm, in the dark, and keep it quiet. That is the usual set up for bettas who have been out of water. Sounds like he's been through quite the shock. I'd give him at least 24 hours before you try to feed him or any treatment. Let him get back on his fins so to speak.

If he looks like he is suffering on the other hand, you might have to think about what is best for him. Wishing warm healy wishes for poor fishy.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:01 PM   #4 
mardi

I can only go on personal experience and what you've written here:

It doesn't sound to me like he has anything wrong other than problems that he had before coming into your care. The listlessness and pale color are, most likely, from being in the cold and stress from a new environment.

Is he missing any scales? Right now, I just advise you to keep an eye on him for the next few days and keep him warm. As has already been suggested, keep things a bit dark;maybe put a towel over his tank to minimize stress for the next 24 hours, maybe longer depending on how he's doing. Stress coat is also wonderful for fin regrowth and for helping to minimize stress.

I had something similar happen with one of my previous fish, Raphael. It's a long story- but I had to get his tank out of a place I was living at the time on short notice. I actually had to have someone go into the house and bring the tank out to me. It was a bad situation, and I speed away from the house; by the time I had composed myself enough to slow down and check on Raphael, his tank was on it's side and the poor dear was on my dirty car floor. That fish was bionic, because he didn't even have a scratch on him after that.

And last but not least, kudos to you for stepping up and taking care of him!

Pictures would be helpful, but I wouldn't stress him out with a photo shoot just yet. Best of luck with your new little one!!

Last edited by mardi; 02-20-2012 at 10:21 PM.
mardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:15 PM   #5 
betta lover1507

okay don't give him light, keep him warm, give conditioner or matured water or so, and some salt. that's all i could think of sorry what happen, hopefully he survives am rooting for him :))
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:17 PM   #6 
Silverfang

Mardi, you said it perfectly. I know your new fish has a bright outlook with someone as dedicated as you watching out for him.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:39 PM   #7 
Lillybulb

Thanks for the replies~ I managed to snap one pic. I remember when she 1st got him he had the biggest bluest fins with bright red tips and a bright red head.:( now this is him. His tips are all white I assume it's new fin growth... I'm hoping. I added a tiny bit of aquarium salt so I can ease him into it. Idk if remember correctly but bettas get sick if you just throw a bunch a salt in the tank??? And I wrapped a jacket around his tank to keep it warm and dark.

Last edited by Lillybulb; 02-20-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:28 AM   #8 
Aus

I'm glad the betta survived -- but gosh, how are YOU?

That must have been so scary. And that poor wee fish, I bet he pulls through just because he deserves to! In which case you perhaps ought to call him "Lucky"
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:49 AM   #9 
Lillybulb

Oh gosh Aus you read my mind haha! and I am fine just a sore neck from whiplash. Sadly the fish took on the most damage... and the other person's car.. thank you for asking c:
Old 02-21-2012, 01:13 AM   #10 
Aus

Glad you're okay - be careful of that whiplash, though. It may need a little physiotherapy to heal properly. Have it checked out?

Okay, 'mommy mode' is off now.

I can't stop looking at that poor little fish. I'm lighting a candle for him this evening.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote