Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2012, 09:22 PM   #1 
rckstr1253

Is it ok to reuse used substrate I got with a purchase of a used tank?

I know this sounds retarded to ask, but can I reuse the black substrate my used fluval ebi tank came with? It is the black substrate the fluval ebi tank comes with in the box. It is meant to help plant growth and so forth. I really like the stuff but don't know if I can reuse it or not since the original owner did use it.

All help is appreciated!
rckstr1253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #2 
TheJadeBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstr1253 View Post
I know this sounds retarded to ask, but can I reuse the black substrate my used fluval ebi tank came with? It is the black substrate the fluval ebi tank comes with in the box. It is meant to help plant growth and so forth. I really like the stuff but don't know if I can reuse it or not since the original owner did use it.

All help is appreciated!
I wouldn't reuse it. Depending on how long it was set up before it could be no good and have no nutrients. It would be useless in a case of growing plants.
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:31 PM   #3 
rckstr1253

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJadeBetta View Post
I wouldn't reuse it. Depending on how long it was set up before it could be no good and have no nutrients. It would be useless in a case of growing plants.
Do you know where I can get something similar to the fluval soil substrate for a good price? I can't afford much these days but love the dark look of it and want to have plants in my tank.
rckstr1253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:38 PM   #4 
TheJadeBetta

Quote:
Do you know where I can get something similar to the fluval soil substrate for a good price? I can't afford much these days but love the dark look of it and want to have plants in my tank.
I hear Eco Complete does well for plants and CaribSea Floramax. There are many types. You can also do Miracle Gro's Organic Potting Soil with a sand/gravel cap.
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:15 PM   #5 
Geomancer

Quote:

All help is appreciated!
Yes you can, just clean it really good. And once the tank is setup, just leave it empty (but running) for at least a week with the heater set high (86+ F). I actually recommend fully cycling it before adding any fish.

If you want to play it safe, just get the regular black gravel from the pet store.

For nutrients it may or may not be exhausted ... but who cares? Only substrate rooted plants (like Swords and Crypts) get any benefit from it. Non rooted (Java Fern, Anubias, Moss), stem (Wisteria, Brazilian Pennywort, Hornwort, etc), and floating (Duckweed, Water Sprite, Amazon Frogbit, etc) get absolutely nothing from the substrate. These plants require a liquid fertilizer as they assimilate their nutrients directly from the water column (and even substrate rooted plants benefit from liquid fertilizers). Heavy root feeders (Swords and Crypts) can benefit from an enriched substrate, but a root tab works even better.

Lots of folks are quite successful growing plants in regular old gravel or play sand that you buy for your kids sandbox. Here is an example of my 20g tank that has the resin coated gravel pet stores sell and have no nutrients what-so-ever.
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote