Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #1 
Queen Zenobia

Unhappy Male has raised scales, perhaps fungus?

Housing
What size is your tank? 1
What temperature is your tank? 80F
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? First had Omega-one BettaBuffet Flakes, now Wardley Betta Food pellets and freeze dried bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aqueon BettaBowl Plus

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Same appearance except certain patch on left side is raised and dull colored.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Acting the same as usual. eating fine.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? My sister noticed it yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 2 Years?

It might be a burn but I don't know. I tried to get a picture of the patch but the silly boy kept moving. And my camera doesn't take good pictures of my bettas. I read in a book that in winter the water is colder so it absorbs more gasses. They suggest letting the tank sit for a day or two. It might be a burn from that. I hope someone can help.

Thanks.

Queen Zenobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #2 
Laki

Hm. A picture would help since I don't really understand the problem.. Is his side pineconing?? (google image) I would clean out his tank once a week and do a change mid-week. A 1 gallon isn't a very large environment so it gets dirty really fast. I recommend getting some live plants and Indian Almond Leaves for the future.
For treatment now, get him in a pre-dissolved mixture of aquarium salt and water. Mix 1 teaspoon of the salt in water, mix it and acclimate it to the temperature he's used to. Only do this daily for a maximum of 10 days.,
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #3 
Queen Zenobia

Thanks for your reply.

It doesn't look like it is pineconing. I will definitely try and get some aquarium salt, as well as some live plants(any suggestions would be appreciated). I will also try and do more water changes.

Could he have gotten it from being stressed? He is extremely difficult to catch, even though I am very gentle with him.

Queen Zeno
Old 03-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #4 
Laki

Every fish has different stress capabilities. I only seen my CT get stress stripes for the first time today so that would be one indication of stress. Stripes.
It's really hard to tell what could be wrong without pictures/video.
I love marimo moss. I only have 1 nano moss ball and one giant moss ball which is no longer a ball! lol it fell apart and now is anchored to my driftwood. They're relatively easy to come by and VERY simple to keep alive!!
Java fern. It's easy to get and mine has been "breeding" like little aquatic rabbits! I have so many now!!
Old 03-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #5 
Queen Zenobia

Does the marimo moss have any special requirements? Does it need a filter?

Thanks,

Queen Zeno
Old 03-07-2012, 09:14 PM   #6 
OMGemily

most threads ive seen where people have one gallon tanks everyone says its preferable to change the water every day because the ammonia rates go up so quickly
OMGemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:30 PM   #7 
Laki

Changing the water 100% every day would create an environment that is too sterile. That's why I suggest indian almond leaves, they help the fish build up his immunity and slime coat. There is such thing as too clean water. But you did hear correct, OMG, people do say that (heck, even I did!) but it's opposing basic rule to let some bacteria build. Live plants will suck up ammonia (and not to be confused with less thorough cleanings). Betta do not contribute as much amonia as other fish, but a 1g will need to be cleaned once fully each week and once or twice 40-50% changes.

To answer your question, no marimo moss can live in stagnant room temp, untreated water for weeks!! (that's how I quarentined mine when I got them). They're almost impossible to kill!! lol :P I don't use filters or aeration and my java fern is thriving. It loves it's many lives!! Marimo moss grows incredibly slow, like, REALLY slow (some estimate nano moss balls to be about 20 years old. And they're so little!)
Old 03-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #8 
betta lover1507

if he has raised scales, i would think it is dropsy i really don't know how to cure it. but i would keep him warm, and with no light :I
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:42 PM   #9 
Queen Zenobia

Hi,

After looking at him and the pictures, I think that it might be a burn. My sister remembered that last week he made a bubblenest (he loves to make them) by the heater. Could he have burned that way? It doesn't seem to be getting any bigger. And he still acts the same, flaring at anybody who gets near him.

I will still be getting some marimo moss for him. Maybe some for my girls, too.

Queen Zeno