Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2012, 02:23 AM   #11 
Sandrilene

cool. sounds simple enough to me. i think larger is the way to go if its that much easier to do with less changes and everything. i'm not worried about water usage at all we pay a flat fee for water and don't come close to the amount they charge. they have emptied our water tank on the lawn when they had to replace it and it didn`t even increase our bill. So besides space theres really no issue with it and i don`t think space will be that much of an issue. I picked up a couple books. i was looking through the forum and found one that was recommended and got it and an aquarium plant book as well. haven't had a chance to go through them yet but the information is coming together nicely so far so i'm feeling substantially more confident about starting this. i had a fish when i was little but since i was little my mom did everything regarding the care. If i'm getting a larger aquarium are there fish betta like as tank friends? i have read that two males don't get along well as far as bettas go, is that different with large tanks since they can have their own territory? People say the same about hamsters, but actually you can keep dwarf hamsters together but it can be touchy. I'm not sure how that would wok with fish. do they either fight to the death instantly or can they have falling outs and start fighting? Since i'm new to this i want to basically know what level of expertise is needed if i was to attempt that (if its even possible). Syrian hamsters kept together after maturity, and adult male guinea pigs will kill each other so its just something you don't do is it like that? do the heaters come with a control to keep the temperature the same all the time like with central air? or do you buy that separately? also are there good led lights that are sufficient for water plants or do you have to use a different source?
Sandrilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:40 AM   #12 
Sandrilene

looking through random tanks to see whats out there and there are some cool ones. i was curious though, and i read through the rules for the site and idn't see anything about posting items from stores being against the rules (if i somehow missed it i am sorry and feel free to remove this) but i don't know how to ask the question without posting it. http://www.petco.com/product/117228/...-in-Black.aspx This tank looks pretty cool but i'm unsure if it is suitable for bettas as it is saying something about a sealed glass top? if it is sealed is there enough room for air? and even if there is is it going to be good enough quality for the fish to like? this is not necessarily the model i'm most interested i but t is an example of a type i like the look of and need to know if the sealed thing is something i need to stay away from. If i am having water plants they will still produce oxygen i assume but am unsure if that wil be enough for the fish to breathe still if it is sealed and still not sure about this tank being able to have space for air at the top and still function as a tank should. (sorry for posting so much all at once) I figured I should know what to avoid any rule this type of tank out if it is unsuitable. I was mostly interested because of the simply design full view ability and substantial lighting for plants (which i guess answers my led question - unless they are wrong about using them?).
Sandrilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:31 AM   #13 
Geomancer

You can not keep two bettas together, even a male and a female. Even when breeding, the female should be kept around only long enough to lay eggs as the male will harass her to death. You would need an extremely large aquarium for two males to have enough room to not harass one or the other to death. Basically it is not at alll recommended.

If people want more than one betta in a tank, they usually get tank dividers that will physically separate them while allowing water to flow through.

As for other fish with bettas ... risky in most cases. Bettas do not make good community fish as they are rather aggressive. Personalities can very but it is generally best to not have any middle or upper fish with them. Plain looking substrate fish (catfish, loaches) would be all I would try. In a 10g you couldn't do loaches (they are schooling, and get too large to house a school in a 10g).

Heaters will generally keep a tank at a constant temperature, they have a thermostat on them. Some will have actually temperature numbers on the dial, others will just have + and -. Regardless of the type, you want a thermometer to verify what temp it is at.

For that tank ... it could be an issue, I'm not sure if they allow any airflow or not on the surface. Bettas breath air, they do not get oxygen from the water through gills. You'll see them swim to the surface and take a gulp of air. Thus, they need open air above their aquarium. A covered aquarium is best because it will keep the heat and humidity in giving the betta less of a shock when they breath the air in. An open tank would have low humidity and much lower temperature which isn't good for them.
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:54 AM   #14 
MaisyDawgThirteen

In a 10 Gallon you can have 5 or more females, but that's more for experts. lol

I disagree with Geomancer, you can keep a betta with rasboras, platties, endler's, and some tetras as well as cories and loaches. :/
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:33 AM   #15 
SnowySurface

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post
In a 10 Gallon you can have 5 or more females, but that's more for experts. lol

I disagree with Geomancer, you can keep a betta with rasboras, platties, endler's, and some tetras as well as cories and loaches. :/
I don't think Geomancer is saying you can't have bettas with loaches ever. Geomancer's saying you need a tank bigger than 10 gallons so the loaches can school properly. If the OP is getting a 5 or 10 gallon tank then the options for tank mates are very limited. I wouldn't start a community tank of schooling fish in anything smaller than 20 gallons. Even in that case it would be a school of one species of fish and one betta in the 20 gallon.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:44 AM   #16 
Geomancer

Eh... I wouldn't for a couple reasons.

Yes, a Betta can be okay with middle/upper fish ... but it also can not work out well. it really depends on the Betta's personality, and if it dosen't work out you need a backup plan to separate them... it's a risk and most people don't consider it.

As for the choices of fish, you have some that are not compatible for long living healthy fish.

Bettas prefer soft slightly acidic water, while live bearers require hard, basic water. They should not be mixed as one or the other will be outside of their comfort zone, and have a reduced life span. Both platties and endlers are live bearers.

And as I mentioned with loaches, they are schooling and get too large to be house in a 10 gallon with a betta. The smallest loaches is the Dwarf Loach which gets to 2.5 inches, and requires a minimum of 5. The other is the Banded Dwarf Loach which gets to 1.5, and again requires a minimum of 5. The Banded Dwarf Loach could be doable in a heavily planted tank with a Betta, but you would be pushing the bioload to the limit.
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #17 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowySurface View Post
I don't think Geomancer is saying you can't have bettas with loaches ever. Geomancer's saying you need a tank bigger than 10 gallons so the loaches can school properly. If the OP is getting a 5 or 10 gallon tank then the options for tank mates are very limited. I wouldn't start a community tank of schooling fish in anything smaller than 20 gallons. Even in that case it would be a school of one species of fish and one betta in the 20 gallon.
I never said you can't have loaches ever. xD A 10 Gallon isn't as limited as you think, rasboras, cories, ember tetras, are all good options. Sorry if it came across like I was saying to keep them all at once. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomancer View Post
Eh... I wouldn't for a couple reasons.

Yes, a Betta can be okay with middle/upper fish ... but it also can not work out well. it really depends on the Betta's personality, and if it dosen't work out you need a backup plan to separate them... it's a risk and most people don't consider it.

As for the choices of fish, you have some that are not compatible for long living healthy fish.

Bettas prefer soft slightly acidic water, while live bearers require hard, basic water. They should not be mixed as one or the other will be outside of their comfort zone, and have a reduced life span. Both platties and endlers are live bearers.

And as I mentioned with loaches, they are schooling and get too large to be house in a 10 gallon with a betta. The smallest loaches is the Dwarf Loach which gets to 2.5 inches, and requires a minimum of 5. The other is the Banded Dwarf Loach which gets to 1.5, and again requires a minimum of 5. The Banded Dwarf Loach could be doable in a heavily planted tank with a Betta, but you would be pushing the bioload to the limit.
I must be wrong, then. I thought Bombalurina had endler's with her sorority?
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:42 AM   #18 
pasoindy

I have an Edge tank. My Betta is very happy in it. I just turn the flow down as low as it will go and don't fill it all the way up to the top. I think it's a beautiful tank although it has some downsides. It's not easy to rearrange or plant because of the size on the access hole. That is the main problem I have with it. It's also not easy to clean the inside glass.
It has a nice filter (basically a rebadged AquaClear 20) and a decent if not small LED light arm. Unfortunately, the light is focused at the middle of the tank and the sides stay darker. I'm still having good luck propagating my plants though. I did just put a larger Marineland light kit on top of it until I can find something more aesthetically pleasing.
pasoindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:51 AM   #19 
Sena Hansler

I have found many owners who have 1-30 gallons for their bettas... And I am one of them You will always have different opinions, of course But the best set up to me for a minimum, is:

3 gallon
heater
baffled flter or a filter you can adjust
rocks/gravel and soft plants (soft plastic, live, fabric, gel) and ornaments
water conditioner
pellets (or flakes, but pellets have more nutrition :) )
bucket and gravel siphon

I had gotten a "goldfish starter kit" which was almost 4 gallons, it came with an adjustable filter and all you needed was pellets (unless you prefer flakes) and a heater. Adjustable heaters are so much better... I have Jager and Top Fin for adjustable, and I have heard Marineland is great too.

Word of advice... I started out small and worked my way up. To save money (space and time too) start with something bigger. Bigger is better :o lol. Sororities are not easy (and I know x.x) but is possible with stuffing a good sized tank with plants. If you found a long tank (not tall or regular) it is easier.. And especially for sororities bigger IS better.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #20 
scootshoot

Trial and error. Take all the conflicting information and work to your schedule and surroundings, cause in the end you will devise your own. In summary, only one rule of thumb when it comes to successful Betta keeping...Water Quality
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote