Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #21 
Geomancer

Keeping fish outside their comfort zone won't be instantly detrimental, it is a long term health consideration, and tank bred fish can sometimes adapt to wider ranges then their wild caught counter parts. A Betta might do fine in a pH of 7.2-7.4 with medium hard water. Upper extreme for the Betta, lower extreme for the live bearers.

It's always difficult to know if the fish we get in a pet store is tank bred or wild caught, and the employees are not likely to know as they just buy all their fish from a distributor.

Generally it is advisable to not mix acidic and basic fish together, but if your pH is in the low 7's and you don't have excessively hard water it can be workable. Live bearers really do prefer hard water though.

If you haven't already I suggest reading the fish profiles here, blue bar at the top, second link. Lots of good information in there for several species. Tropical Fish Profiles
Geomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #22 
Sena Hansler

agreed Scoot that includes tap water conditioner. At least being on here vs yahooanswers, you get opinions not "or else"'s. you also get to learn your betta(s) :3 some don't like certain things, some do. which is why the "this is how it SHOULD be and NOTHING ELSE" rules don't work.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #23 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
some don't like certain things, some do. which is why the "this is how it SHOULD be and NOTHING ELSE" rules don't work.
Dead on. Like any subject, you can read til your eyes turn red but nothing is gonna beat hands on. Even the most avid fish hobbyist or breeder on this forum and across the globe have lost fish to a premature death due to some fault of their own. Learn from your mistakes, figure out what you did wrong and move on.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #24 
Sena Hansler

^ +1
Old 02-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #25 
Sandrilene

i don't think geo was trying to say don't do it in general but to me not to because i'm a noob and was trying to limit my frustration which i appreciate.
So if i got a tank in which a divider could be used is it mean to put them together in a tank? I mean I know they would have sufficient room but as you guys have told me they can't stay together without one is it going to be some aggressive always on edge thing for the fish? I have guinea pigs and they get moody when they are in the same room because they can hear each other and don't like knowing the other ones are near (i have 2 sets of two so don't worry they aren't lonely). I want my fish to be happy more then i want everything to look awesome, function for me and the the fish comes first cause if its a pain in the butt i won't like it as much anways.
Sandrilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:13 PM   #26 
Sena Hansler

Well, for me I have to find the "match" for the divided tank. Betta fish give off pheromones, which allows other fish to know "they are there". El Dorado had that problem. I could put say... Jekyll and....Juniper together but everyone else would try their hardest to find out where the other betta was and kill it o.o

trial and error :p try putting tons of hidey holes and plants in the tank, covering the divider so they cannot see each other. It may work or it may not work... never know until you try each betta is different so I cannot tell you whether or not it is "cruel". It'd be bad if I left El Dorado with Riddle, since he never liked seeing other bettas. :(
Old 02-24-2012, 03:45 PM   #27 
Sandrilene

would getting the divider and bettas at the same time possibly be better if i went that route? then neither of them would view the tank automatically as "theirs" and possibly just be happy because they have all kinds of space now? or is that a fools dream?
Old 02-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #28 
Sena Hansler

Actually you are half right. Adding them both in at the same time, will help. If for instance you had one in the 10, then divided, then added, you could cause more stress on them which would be bad. Still recommend some cover for the boys :p it'll help in the long run. I have some who just fight and fight no matter what. Even if they cannot reach what they wanna fight.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #29 
Sandrilene

ok. so as far as buying some to try for a match is there anything specific to look for in their characteristics? if i get from a pet store they are in those plastic little cups so i don't know how much i`d be able to tell about whether they are very dominant (i mean obviously they are to a large extent or there wouldn't be a problem with having a few together, which there is). I went to see what tanks were in the store and noticed they have baby bettas. would that be much harder to do? do you keep them in smaller bowls? or is that just not recommended for a beginner? i assume they mostly are kept int hose little cups for a looong time or die early because the average person you buys a betta gets it for display now and they aren't very showy that young. i feel bad for the fishies If i did get two and try the divided tank and it didn`t work well what do people normally do with the for lack of a better term "extra" fish? I don't think i have room for 2 larger tanks. seems sort of mean to go u didn`t get along so now u are stuck with this tank (and i would pick the more vicious one for the smaller tank cause they were the "mean" one). hmm... probably do more research on that before i consider it more.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #30 
Sandrilene

if i'm doing a tank its gonna get the special treatment lots of goodies. no worries there.