Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #11 
jaela

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcrimoniousArbiter View Post
Does your dorm allow that size tank? Mine allows a maximum of one 10 gallon tank.
Normally the limit in the res halls is 10 gallons, but I got an exception through health services because I have anxiety problems. There's another student here who has such an exception to keep rats in a dorm room, too. =]
jaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #12 
thekoimaiden

Welcome to the forum! I actually got into bettas when I went to college, too. I'd been keeping fish for a while, and missed them. The largest size tank my dorm allowed was 5 gal, so I researched and found bettas to be the perfect fit.

I would say lucky break, but I really don't think it applies. Either way it's great that you can have the tank you want!
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:47 PM   #13 
Shirleythebetta

15 gallons what a lucky gal. I do have to say though that I don't believe the bettas like larger homes. I think it depends on the fish. I think if they can handle space then go for it. I believe in one gallon min, but on here you will find there are many different opinions to choose from. I keep my one guy in a one gallon because his fins are so long that he can't do anything over that. His one gallon has places for him to lay at the top of the water. Or maybe he's just lazy. But my others are hyperactive and need to swim. I love the whole idea of a 15 gallon though. Thats really nice and I bet you could have loads of fun decorating that.

p.s. loads of us on here including me have anxiety issues and I found that fish help that a lot. Even the cleaning dirty work is relaxing.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #14 
Termato

You all make me feel bad keeping my betta in a 1 gallon... :(

btw can someone help this guy out. He's worried about his fish and I have no idea whats up with it:

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/o...ght-ick-94022/
Termato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:27 PM   #15 
Shirleythebetta

Nothing wrong with a one gallon as long as you keep him warm and do the necessary water changes nost recommend one 50 and one 100 every week. Honestly I do one 100 percent change and my fish are active and healthy in their one gallons. I do in between changes if they are extra messy that week. Its all about opinion. You have to chose what is right for you and your fishy.

Last edited by Shirleythebetta; 02-22-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:36 PM   #16 
jaela

Shirleythebetta -- My girl's really active, and since she's a female she's got much shorter fins. She's in a 2 gallon right now and it seems a little small for her, which is why I decided to get a bigger one -- it will be a really drastic size in change for her, though, so I suppose we'll see how she does! If it ends up being too much for her, I can always put in a divider or move her back to the smaller tank. I am really excited about decorating it! For one thing I'll be getting live plants, which I'm excited about -- Ann only has fake ones in her little home right now.
She really does help with the anxiety, she's been such a good little roommate so far! And there is something very therapeutic about having someone to care for, feed, clean the tank for etc...

Termato -- As long as your guy is happy and healthy I think it's fine! 1 gallon is much better than how a lot of people unfortunately keep bettas. The two girls in the room next to mine have a beautiful blue male crowntail in one of those littlelittle bowls and I feel so bad for him.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #17 
AcrimoniousArbiter

Yaaaah live plants! I'm just starting to try out live plants myself, but I'm trying to keep everything fairly mobile since I'll have to move my tank. Have some anubias tied down, some pithy anacharis floating, and I'm expecting my shipment of frogbit to arrive any day now!
AcrimoniousArbiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #18 
Shirleythebetta

I really enjoy people that give their bettas so much room. I am sure she will do incredible and I look forward to hear how she does. From my experience (i have a sorority) the girls are a little more active. I think she will be perfect and I am glad to see she is spoiled rotten!
Old 02-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #19 
AcrimoniousArbiter

Oh, in case you don't know, be sure to put enough plants in the tank too, so she feels more secure. I see you already have a cave thing going too, so that helps also!
AcrimoniousArbiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:58 PM   #20 
jaela

Thanks guys! I'm really looking forward to picking out plants and things and making her new home really great for her.

Here's the new tank, just got back with it:

Sitting on my bed for now, until I can set up a space for it within reach of the outlets. It's a little old but in good condition, and the sealant has been reinforced. I need to change out the light because it's shot, but I brought this home for $15 so I feel pretty great about it. =D