Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2012, 02:56 AM   #1 
MilaBetta

What bettas should I start with?

I had a Veiltail Betta a few years back and she lived with me for 4 years before passing. I'm starting up in betta care again and i'm wondering if there is a certain kind of betta that is a little easier to care for than others. It made me wonder when I realized some plants are easier than most.
MilaBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:35 AM   #2 
MaisyDawgThirteen

They are all the same care. :) If you can find a plakat (short finned betta) or a female you should get those, because some of the bettas with big pretty tails may bite them if stressed or bored. Make sure you have a 2.5+ Gallon tank with a heater and filter! :D
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #3 
MilaBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post
They are all the same care. :) If you can find a plakat (short finned betta) or a female you should get those, because some of the bettas with big pretty tails may bite them if stressed or bored. Make sure you have a 2.5+ Gallon tank with a heater and filter! :D
Cool thanks for the help! Ill keep it in mind when i go out to buy them :)
Old 02-22-2012, 02:28 PM   #4 
CarmanDirda

I often hear halfmoons are hardier fish than other breeds, but it's debatable. With the right care, any fish can flourish. Most my bettas live about 7-10 years.
CarmanDirda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:01 PM   #5 
bettalover2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarmanDirda View Post
I often hear halfmoons are hardier fish than other breeds, but it's debatable. With the right care, any fish can flourish. Most my bettas live about 7-10 years.
OMG 10 years!?!?!?! Tell me your secrets......
bettalover2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #6 
a123andpoof

I would just go with whatever betta you connect with. I don't really think one is easier then another other than long finned breeds may bite their tails. I personally love females and feel they have more personality. But again go with whatever betta connects with you. I have done that and haven't gone wrong!
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:16 PM   #7 
CarmanDirda

You just have to keep the temp between 76-82 degrees, watch for all illness, and make sure you do regular water changes once a week or more (depending on tank size). Also, aquarium salt and a mixed diet does them well. ;)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I've been raising bettas since I was 7, and breeding them for a couple years.
CarmanDirda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:52 PM   #8 
copperarabian

Also remember that although bettas charm us with their little personality's and natural behaviors don't forget they will do about anything to commit suicide. Eat themselves to death, jump out of the tank, squeeze into tiny holes in decorations and get stuck, loge themselves under dividers... the list goes on and on so be careful. They aren't trying to kill themselves, they don't know any better and are curious.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #9 
MilaBetta

^^ Thanks for all the heads up guys and yeah I remember I had to get different base for my betta because she tried to get under them all the time.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #10 
DragonTheBetta

I have a Plakat and he is the best betta ever. I come from a long line of people whos fish die a few days after buying them and I've managed to keep him alive. Plakats are suppost to be really hardy.
DragonTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote