Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #1 
GreenTea

Question "Glass" betta

Would a "glass" (cellophane, usually with black eyes) pair yield only glassy fry? Is this a solid gene or a marble gene? I'm very interested in them but can't find any information.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:42 AM   #2 
PitGurl

I would think marble since marbles can produce cellophane but that is just a guess. I have never have never owned one though so I can't say if they end up marbling or not. I know many people don't like them but I think they're cool looking. I like this pair, the female has a nice dorsal, possibly some DT in there.
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shmp1329809099
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:26 AM   #3 
tpocicat

I think cellophanes are beautiful. I don't have any experience breeding them however, so I can't answer your question.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

IME cellophane is a solid gene (or allele) though many of them show through marbling. I think they should breed true since I often get cellophanes if one of the parents were a cello. In fact I got cello's from pairs that come from cello breeding but don't show it physically.... and I don't mean 1 or 2, but 50% cello.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:45 AM   #5 
CarmanDirda

Depending on their lineage, you would get a mix. Probably mostly glass.

Do you know the parents of the fish, or were they bought by chance (finding them after breeding)?
CarmanDirda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:15 AM   #6 
GreenTea

Neither, I don't have the fish yet or necessarily will, just wondering about the genetics. I knew you could get them from marble lines, but I haven't seen any change so I was wondering if they could throw colors...

Do you like cello Indjo? I think they're pretty cool.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:20 AM   #7 
CarmanDirda

Ah, well yes. It depends on how far back the genetics go. It's very possible to get marbled, but I'd expect a mix.

And yes, they're neat. :)
CarmanDirda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:44 AM   #8 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post
Neither, I don't have the fish yet or necessarily will, just wondering about the genetics. I knew you could get them from marble lines, but I haven't seen any change so I was wondering if they could throw colors...

Do you like cello Indjo? I think they're pretty cool.
Not in particular. To me they look ..... colorless(?), not to attractive. I prefer metallic colors and now the dragons. Not that I like the colors too much, it's just that they're genetically complicated (too much cross bred I think) and always makes me wonder of the out comes.

The only light colors I like are - white opaque/platinum, true golden yellow/orange (not the cello version). But working with those colors would mean tons of different light colors (specially when working with drgn scales).
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, cellophane, glass