Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #11 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyCheyenne View Post
I'm probably not gonna breed them until September (unless I just can't wait, lol) as I'll probably be working full time in summer, than vacation at end of August. So hopefully by then they'll be ready. How much should I sell the fry for? And at what age?
This is basic breeder "stuff" you should already know. If you are planning on breeding there is way more than putting two fish together and getting some money off of them. Even if your intentions are not for profit.

Please research this and then decide if you want t breed for sure or not. There are a few "Sticky" threads at the top of this section and they say betta breeding or something like that. Please read and go through that to have some kind of background. You really need to research before breeding ANY kind of fish or animal for that matter.

To answer your questions, it really depends on the quality of the fish and what tail type it is.

Usually around 2.5-3 inches is the correct size to start selling them because they will have developed their color and finnage. The price is really your decision. If you look on www.aquabid.com, you should see fish similar that have prices according to their quality.

Breeding takes time and money. You need at LEAST 50 containers to separate the males and a grow out tanks at least 30 gallons or more.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #12 
Curlyfatbottom

If your going to wait for that long.
You should pick a new male to breed.
Cause he'll be to old by then.
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:47 AM   #13 
GreyCheyenne

I have been doing alot of research on this and other sites & have alot of the plans for what I'm gonna do already.

If he'll be too old by then I guess I'll have to do it now( I really wanna use him). I guess the fry would be grown & gone by the end of August ( I don't wanna dump the care of 50 fish on my grandma, lol).
GreyCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #14 
GunsABlazin

Well, it depends on how old he is already.
One of our members has a spawn log on here, and She spawned her (i do think he was a year or more) old male to her CT female. He was a great dad. When she thought he had eaten the fry, and removed him...turned out he had re-hidden them....and she found he had taken a fry with him in his mouth into his QT tank....and he was nesting for it, and feeding it!

So weather he is to old or not is really not the question, but rather the condition he is in...some of us dont age well.
GunsABlazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:04 AM   #15 
GreyCheyenne

I saw that thread. He sounds like a sweet boy! So what do you think would be the best thing to do? Breed them now or in September?
Old 02-23-2012, 09:15 AM   #16 
GunsABlazin

Right now-
Do you have the time, money and supplies (live food and all of that)? IS the female large enough or responsive? In he next 4 months do you see any huge bumps in the road that could cause you to not be able to care for the fry and parents?

Later-
Keep his condition and health up, flair him a little every now and then. Start feeding him live food if you can find any (i just bought guppies and feed my males and females the fry). I personally dont think he will be to old to breed him later, I have my own male that i plan on spawning...and iv had him for 4 months. Dont plan on spawning him till the end of June.

Last edited by GunsABlazin; 02-23-2012 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Bah, speling
GunsABlazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:19 AM   #17 
GreyCheyenne

Thanks for the advise! Now I just have to make up my mind! I'm gonna make sure the female gets her share of the food everyday & see if she starts growing.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:59 AM   #18 
bettalover2033

Good choice. Make sure you are fully prepared before breeding. Both knowledge and phisically prepared.

You should mostly look for little basic things like how do you know when she is ready (just an example, I'm sure you know that answer).
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:16 AM   #19 
Curlyfatbottom

Let me ask if this is a one time deal breeding or a long term.
If it's a one time deal then stick with store bought product with fish food.
If it long term then go with culture food.
You will spend more to start but save more on the long run.
Late spring to early summer is the best time to breed.
Less problem/hassle
Longer lighting
Better fry growth
Warm weather
More bug to feed the fry
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #20 
GreyCheyenne

Not sure yet if this is a one time thing or not yet. If all goes well & I find good homes for all the "kids", then I might try again sometime.

I wish I could do it in late spring/early summer, but that just doesn't work out w/ vacation & all.

I'm planning on making this a "project" for our homeshool group's annual project fair next April. I already graduated, so I might do it with my 7 year old sister. I think it would be cool to have pics of the fry's different stages of developement & also take some of the grown-up babies.